Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    lunch time!!!! looks like cooking class!!!
    Lol, that reminds me of the year-end party we had in my HS welding/blacksmith class. A buddy of mine's uncle was the local Hebrew National dealer so he got a dozen packages of hotdogs and we roasted 'em over the forges (ours we gas not coal fired, tho...) took about 15 seconds per ...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I want a Buffalo Forge forge!

Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    Are those adjustable exhaust hoods? Is there some blower that pulls the smoke/etc. out of the room through those adjustable hoods?

Anybody know?
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    And this is why we have such a dysfunctional workforce today.

People were trained early how to work by people that knew their trades and all the associated information concerning them.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesWaugh View Post
    Are those adjustable exhaust hoods? Is there some blower that pulls the smoke/etc. out of the room through those adjustable hoods?

Anybody know?
    The hoods you see over the forges are not for exhaust, they are for intensifying and concentrating the amount of heat that can be produced
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

toeless joe (Sep 29, 2020)

Thanks
    The whole world took a serious downturn when it stopped being about quality and money took over.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1966 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 1, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Both of these comments play a significant role in the loss of pride in workmanship, and in the quality of goods are services today.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    And this is why we have such a dysfunctional workforce today.

People were trained early how to work by people that knew their trades and all the associated information concerning them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    The whole world took a serious downturn when it stopped being about quality and money took over.
    The real problems however are much more complex. Below are some of my views on the subject.

1) Apprentice programs have a difficult time keeping up with changes in technology. People trained, “by people that knew their trades and all the associated information concerning them.” will seldom be able to reach the same level of competence as their teacher. The result is, for each generation, skills and knowledge are lost.

2) Technology in all “trades” changes so quickly, 1/2 life of information gets shorter every year. Recent graduates of any program in any field, are already behind as the program they completed was designed before the latest advancement was developed. (trades here includes most everything, from Doctors to Plumbers to Fisherman)

3) The “push” a while back to make sure that everyone can go to “college” was key to the problem. The result of this was devaluation of vocational education. When I began teaching in 1974, every year, before scheduling classes for high school, every 8th grade student one on a field trip to the local vocational high school, to expose students the possibilities. By the time I retired in 2009, that was gone, students are discouraged from attending vocational schools. Schools are now “graded” on the percentage of students accepted into college. Yes schools actually get a grade card now!!! https://reportcard.education.ohio.gov

High Schools PUSH students to go to college, even though they are better suited to a different track, because it scores points on the school “report card”. This has recently changed to include tracks other than 4 year institutions. Although they are tracked separately giving the impression that anything less than “real college” is somehow less important.

4). I believe that colleges are mainly responsible for #3 as they are in it to make money. The more students, the more money. I also believe that government collaborated with colleges for this push, while claiming to help students by providing “low interest” loans because “everyone should be able to go to college”. This allowed colleges to slowly raise tuition leaving graduates with huge debt.

5) Far too many students “role models” are just plain BAD. Too many people are just rude to each other. The level of disrespect in the world is … SCARY… on so many levels.

When I was teaching, during the first days of class I often told students “they would never be as smart as I am”. Then I would pause just a little to let them think about that for a while, it was interesting to watch the look of defiance grow on their faces. But I had their attention. I would then continue, “you MUST end up much smarter than I am”. You are going to be running things when I am old. Then explain the reasoning, I cannot possibly teach you everything I know, in addition, much of when I know is already outdated. My plan to do is to teach you how to learn, so you will be able to learn about and to do things that have not even been thought of yet.

I tried to instill that pride in what they do, no matter what it is, if you are going to do it, do it right.

Enough of my rant. I admit I am little fired up this morning!!

Smile at people, even it is hidden by a mask. Better yet, draw a smile on your mask!!!!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Sep 30, 2020), mklotz (Sep 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 1, 2020), volodar (Sep 30, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Thanks for the rant and, believe me, that is not meant sarcastically.

I'd add to the points you've made but I've been down that rabbit hole too often and have resolved to not waste my time trying to solve another societal ailment beyond my reach.

The one point in your post that I want to thoroughly endorse is contained in this quote...

"My plan to do is to teach you how to learn, so you will be able to learn about and to do things that have not even been thought of yet."

Developing techniques and, more importantly, the discipline needed to learn from experience after leaving school is the key to coping successfully with life.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Sep 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 1, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    John Morrow Screw and Nut Company employees. 1909.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

Last edited by Jon; Sep 30, 2020 at 05:18 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 1, 2020), baja (Oct 1, 2020), jimfols (Sep 30, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    They are a downdraft hood. Some of the exhaust can be recirculated through the blower to increase heat, but they do extract through the floor via a ducted system.

Thread Information