Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Excavator riddle chain bucket - GIF

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Oct 25, 2020), NortonDommi (Oct 24, 2020)

Thanks
    awesome idea!!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Mud Excavator

Agree, its a great idea!

It seems this can be refined to provide for excavating rock and stone of various "screen" sizes, as well. Like, if you were building a hillside road and don't want to remove everything in your path - only the bigguns.

(I just realized that there may be a sizing scheme for boulders, huge stones and such, but I've only heard hints of that for smaller landscaping aggregates.)

Thanks
    for stone I think it would just clog up and only seperate a very few small stones that were there at the grate aera.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    A common attachment for skid steers is a rotary classifier bucket that sorts materials by size directly from the scoop. A larger mobile classifier is used for bigger jobs - moved into position and then fed by track hoes or loaders to sort materials right at the jobsite, as well as remove organic debris and trash.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

JoeVanGeaux (Oct 26, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    They are using this as a dredge bucket pulling the muck out but leaving most of the liquid
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    yes frank, but somebody said it would be good for separating different size rocks too I would think it would need some agitation to do that possiably a good amount as I have tried it at hole a few times and it just dont seem to work....with some movement of the stones some times a lot of harsh movement. a round tramil would probably work best and sort them pretty good into different piles. it takes a good amount of movement to separate dirt from stones as well.
    Last edited by marksbug; Oct 26, 2020 at 08:54 AM. Reason: addtion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

JoeVanGeaux (Oct 26, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    yes frank, but somebody said it would be good for separating different size rocks too I would think it would need some agitation to do that possiably a good amount as I have tried it at hole a few times and it just dont seem to work....with some movement of the stones some times a lot of harsh movement. a round tramil would probably work best and sort them pretty good into different piles. it takes a good amount of movement to separate dirt from stones as well.
    I can't see the bucket as made working for anything but muck or silt. Dry material unless a high clay content or very large clumps would just fall through the chains as it was being raised.
    Gold miners have tried using something similar to break up large clumps of permafrost in their pay. But the only way to successfully break up permafrost so it will thaw even if you manage to get a single shank ripper to penetrate it is to run the ripper back and forth in a criss-cross grid pattern and then possibly drag a huge disk plow over it, to accelerate the thawing. Running frozen clumps of pay through a dry trammel will leave 30 to40% or the gold fines in the clumps as they exit. A wet trammel with high pressure spray might net an additional 10% Adding a ball mill or a crusher is just another added expense to the operation,
    the same holds true for separating rocks from fill dirt. unless your primary goal is crushed rock then a crusher is of little use for separating fill from rock. if on the other hand as you said you run dry materials through a trammel with qualifying holes sizes the rock can be separated from dirt in varying sizes

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information