Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Milling Machine Angel Eyes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ohhhh, a machine light. Video shot, caught my eye, thinking it was a 'desk lamp" of machine parts.
    I've tried ring lights with disappointing result. maybe they've improved. The problem, parallel illumination "focuses" on area directly below, with little divergence. The large chuck shadows the drill point, unless a long bit.
    Angling two Tensor-type individual lamps [incandescent or LED] at either side is more effective. The best arrangement seems to be one from the back, and left side, lessening interference to operator.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Do you get a black spot when the quill is extended? I did when I tried a ring light. I found that lighting from both sides obviated this.
    The light moves with the quill and so doesn't block it. I've tried it with a short 3mm slot drill and it worked a dream, gets even better with longer bits.

The aluminium foil around the inside of the shade should reflect quite a lot of light and extend the size of the light - the light is very even on the table and on the drill bit

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Ohhhh, a machine light. Video shot, caught my eye, thinking it was a 'desk lamp" of machine parts.
    I've tried ring lights with disappointing result. maybe they've improved. The problem, parallel illumination "focuses" on area directly below, with little divergence. The large chuck shadows the drill point, unless a long bit.
    Angling two Tensor-type individual lamps [incandescent or LED] at either side is more effective. The best arrangement seems to be one from the back, and left side, lessening interference to operator.
    I have made a desk lamp using snubs from a dial gauge support - it's on my gallery

The reflective foil extends the illuminated area quite a lot, it's working really well.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Dual post - Please ignore

Cheers
    Johan
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Jan 19, 2021 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Umm - I checked your nice desk lamp design and build at your site, Nigel.

One question though:
    1) -Isn't the chosen GU 10 lamp at full mains 230 VAC voltage (or is it below 24 V)?
    If so: You got yourself a protective earth lead to the lamp's base?
    And do you have GFI/ RCD device in your breaker/ fuse box?

A low voltage transformer/ SELV powered, low temp LED could be mounted in just about anything, as in your mill light,
    but an all metal, mains powered (with perhaps a hot Halogen?) lamp without a proper and connected* earth lead
    could give you a blind date with Darwin when a fault happens.

I'm not sure how code might've changed in the UK since New Years Eve, but I guess you haven't ditched the CE regulations yet?

-Just be safe, OK?

Cheers
    Johan

*Means NO 2-wire extension cord from outlet to your lamp plug...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 18, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Worthwhile considerations of grounding and operating voltage. Here [Midwest US], I'll use 3ph step down transformers for power-feeds, lights, DRO's etc, I hate cords laying around, feed machines from drops. Most are grounded cords; this will have me add GFCI's to cover everything low volt.
    Halogen too hot for this kind of thing.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Most are grounded cords; this will have me add GFCI's to cover everything low volt. .
    AFAIK: For transformers/ SELV low voltage drive units a GFCI won't be as beneficial as it will be in a full mains voltage circuit.
    A GFCI works by contionously checking for current leakage to anything else than the neutral conductor
    ( i. e. Opens breaker if Phase and Neutral current differs more than a predetermined value: usually<20-30 mA),
    and would thus only protect a transformer's primary mains circuit - not the Galvanically separated secondary's eventual fault.

As voltages below 60 V are considered "harmless" for humans & animals this is no real drawback.
    Remember that though low voltage might be "safe" - a 12 V 50 W halogen lamp draws over 4 amps each -
    so keep the low voltage cables short and coarse enough to minimize the fire hazard...

I've actually burned myself at work finding 6 x 50 W halogen lamps in parallel with a "few metres" of molten AWG #18 ...
    The student in question was terribly offeded when I called him a "PhD Candidate in Arson".

Better knowledgeable and safe than a stupid stiff.

Cheers
    Johan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    Umm - I checked your nice desk lamp design and build at your site, Nigel.

One question though:
    1) -Isn't the chosen GU 10 lamp at full mains 230 VAC voltage (or is it below 24 V)?
    If so: You got yourself a protective earth lead to the lamp's base?
    And do you have GFI/ RCD device in your breaker/ fuse box?

A low voltage transformer/ SELV powered, low temp LED could be mounted in just about anything, as in your mill light,
    but an all metal, mains powered (with perhaps a hot Halogen?) lamp without a proper and connected* earth lead
    could give you a blind date with Darwin when a fault happens.

I'm not sure how code might've changed in the UK since New Years Eve, but I guess you haven't ditched the CE regulations yet?

-Just be safe, OK?

Cheers
    Johan

*Means NO 2-wire extension cord from outlet to your lamp plug...
    The light is 3 wire and grounded and has an RCD, also, the connections to the holder fly-leads are soldered and insulated - no bolted terminals to come loose.

Must admit though that it would be even better as a 12V or USB powered light. The LED bulb is only around 4W.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Thanks for your reply, Nigel - sorry for perhaps barking up the wrong tree - but safety first!

ATB
    Johan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Nigel - sorry for perhaps barking up the wrong tree - but safety first!

ATB
    Johan
    Hi Johan, that's fine, I completely agree safety first. I still might change this to low voltage and modify it slightly as the base is not wide enough to support the light at full reach. The bulb is LED, but a moulded thick glass and so quite heavy. Best regards, Nigel

Thread Information