Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools

Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting

Needing to make new frame to engine studs for my latest motorcycle build (it came with all thread) it is important to me that the threads only go through the fastening and not the parts being fastened. This involves accurate run out when screw cutting without an undercut. I have got pretty good at manual manipulation of the controls over the years but that means threading at much slower speeds than are ideal. To speed things up and to be able to single point thread at at least 350 rpm with no undercut I needed some help so came up with this idea which gives plenty of time to drop the half nuts. I already had a plate along the rear of the bed originally for copy turning from templates, this plate clocks true in both axis to the bed and has two precision ground riser blocks to take a ½ inch round bar or plate templates (It mostly gets used for a DTI) mag base. So with a ground bar and a simple 45 deg collar I have a way for the tool to retract the at the right moment, the slide is disconnected from the feed screw and retracts by the needle roller follower meeting the collar. At the moment thumb pressure on the cross slide is used and works well enough for me and is very fast to use, I have a means for spring pressure or air ram to be used but so far not needed. Depth of cut is by the flank method from the top slide. Obviously when threading to a shoulder I have to resort to the traditional method. I can imagine some chuckles from the CNC guys but this cost me nothing to make.
    Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting-1.jpg
    Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting-2.jpg
    Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting-3.jpg
    Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting-4.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

bill46 (Mar 8, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Mar 4, 2021), Dimsa (Mar 3, 2021), DIYSwede (Mar 3, 2021), emu roo (Mar 3, 2021), JDrouin (Mar 3, 2021), johncg (Mar 4, 2021), Jon (Mar 3, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Mar 7, 2021), NortonDommi (Mar 4, 2021), nova_robotics (Mar 3, 2021), Skun Knuckles (Mar 4, 2021), tonyfoale (Mar 4, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Mar 7, 2021), ttmrj (Mar 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Ask the CNC guys how long it would take to program the threading into the machine, then we'll see who's laughing. BTW, great use of available resources.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dagrizz For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Mar 7, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    That is a truly neat idea. Nice. Very nice !!!👍👍👍👍

Thanks
    Thanked 2,620 Times in 703 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,

Very impressive.
    Why do you avoid an under cut? As you can imagine I have made many such studs and I always have an undercut.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Mar 4, 2021)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dagrizz View Post
    Ask the CNC guys how long it would take to program the threading into the machine, then we'll see who's laughing. BTW, great use of available resources.
    Actually it would not take long at all. There are pre-defined Gcodes for threading but most users would use a wizard with very few inputs needed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Mar 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Alan,

Very impressive.
    Why do you avoid an under cut? As you can imagine I have made many such studs and I always have an undercut.

Tony, I understand that a bolt or stud is only as strong as the thread root dia, if I use undercuts I use a radius tool. The reason for not is for originality, I am restoring a 1919 V twin AJS so I am making parts as close to OEM as possible. I bought this machine from an oil worker who brought it back from India and it was in poor shape although mostly complete having been used as a daily hack, the way these people keep things going is incredible. PIC.
    Simple Auto Retract Thread Cutting-ajs.jpg
    Got my work cut out this time!.
    Last edited by olderdan; Mar 4, 2021 at 03:59 AM. Reason: ommision

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Mar 4, 2021), DIYer (Mar 4, 2021), Jon (Mar 4, 2021), NortonDommi (Mar 4, 2021), Rikk (Mar 11, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Mar 7, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your Auto Retracting Thread Cutting Tool to our Tapping and Threading category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,
    Originality, yes I understand that. It has never been part of my own outlook but I understand its importance for tasks such as your current project, which looks to be a huge amount of work. My kids and friends would think that I was ill if I started worrying about originality. Keep us informed as things progress.

Thanks
    i would like to see a YouTube video of tis in action Well done love it

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher102 View Post
    i would like to see a YouTube video of tis in action Well done love it
    I have to second this! Your description is great and I do understand how it works but videos just make me chuckle. That is a good laugh or smile at a well done project.

Thread Information