Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Induction hardening cleaver edge - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

Induction hardening cleaver edge - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Oct 18, 2021), hemmjo (Oct 19, 2021), HobieDave (Oct 19, 2021), johncg (Oct 24, 2021), Moby Duck (Oct 19, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Oct 18, 2021), nova_robotics (Oct 18, 2021), rlm98253 (Oct 18, 2021), that_other_guy (Oct 18, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

Making Induction Heaters.

Every time I see an induction heating process on here, it really makes me want one.

There are lots of videos about making them. Some simple, some complex.

Simple with a simple explanation of how they work. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJeEhuG5nE"

A bit more technical explanation (over my head) "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5Hg2zfLjs"

This guy is crazy. His antics are dangerous. But the heater he assembled is intense. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKFnk4R54ZQ"

(I put the links in " " so they would not take up so much screen space. I am not sure how to put a link here without the actual video showing in this space)

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Altair (Oct 19, 2021), thevillageinn (Oct 20, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Says the woman who is apparently his enabler, "why do you do this?"

Because he lacks filters on his behavior, apparently. My wife would have killed me decades ago if I were this bad.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wouldn't the first several be harder than later ones as the water bath warms up? Maybe they use a refrigerated recirculation?

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    Wouldn't the first several be harder than later ones as the water bath warms up? Maybe they use a refrigerated recirculation?
    I do not think their greatest concern is quality control. This is certainly is not the ideal hardening process. The part is supposed to be swished around in the water to quench/cool it quickly. Not permitted to just sit there to cool slowly as the video shows.

Induction hardening cleaver edge - GIF-screen-shot-2021-10-19-9.50.41-am.png

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    She might regret not using an IR filter to protect her eyes. Early onset cataracts might be in her future.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    She might regret not using an IR filter to protect her eyes. Early onset cataracts might be in her future.
    She would have to know about it to regret it. Though even if she does, the necessities of daily life may seem, and even be, more important. If you don't have enough to eat, and clean water to drink, and a place to sleep, those problems may seem much more important.

Bill

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    She would have to know about it to regret it.
    Bill
    Once she discovers that cataracts are reducing her vision, she (and doctors) will try to determine why she got them at an early age. Hence, they will look at her previous occupation(s), and bingo, will likely, find the proximate cause, leading to regret.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Once she discovers that cataracts are reducing her vision, she (and doctors) will try to determine why she got them at an early age. Hence, they will look at her previous occupation(s), and bingo, will likely, find the proximate cause, leading to regret.
    The discussion is too complex to complete here, but we (myself included) often forget all of the implications of the things we do and purchase and how they affect someone on the other side of the Earth. A very brief beginning follows.

It is fascinating and troubling when you really think about the long and complex cause and effect chain that exists in the global economy. We are ALL are part of the chain that puts her, millions like her, in fact the whole rest of the worlds population in peril.

As difficult as it might be to comprehend, there are lots of places in the world where there is no way most of the population would ever have access to the resources to determine this cause and effect.

Even in the most technologically advanced countries, there is no REAL disclosure of the complex cause and effect relationships between human suffering and the industrial processes and products we all use. When there is disclosure, many choose to ignore the warnings.

For example, here is a partial list of products I will venture to say that no one reading this, myself included, can honestly say they do not use any of these: Non-Stick Cookware, Flea and Tick Products, Mothballs, Air Fresheners, Oven Cleaner, Furniture Polish and Stain, Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Gas Space Heaters, Cleaning Solutions, Antibacterial Soaps, Flame Retardants, herbicides and pesticides, lawn care products, FDA APPROVED MEDICATIONS (Oxycodone and Fentanyl and MANY others) the list goes on and on and on.

We want cheap products, and easy ways to do things, we fail to consider there are very high hidden costs to those cheap products. Like the Fram oil filter guys used to say, "You can pay me now, or pay me later"

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    What makes you think she will have access to a doctor that would be able to make the connection between her deteriorating sight and her work & work environment? I've got cataracts developing, and my wife, who stayed home to take care of our kids and is a decade younger than I am has already had cataract surgery. Which seems to have failed, or gotten complicated. That is in addition to multiple immune-system disorders, musculo-skeletal disorders, and multiple major surgeries.

I entered the work force full-time at age 18, in 1973. My wife had a short work career in secretarial fields, and then became a domestic engineer. She has been classed as "totally & permanently disabled since 2005. No one has been able to figure out what has caused her multiple physical disabilities. She started working in the mid-80's,also at age 18, switched to that domestic engineering job in the early 90's. I have managed to keep her covered by what is supposedly "good" health insurance since we married. Lots of doctors, lots of testing, and to this day the doctors don't seem to agree about what her problems are, not to mention what caused them.

I (and we) have lived and worked in other countries, in both the 1st and 3rd world. There is a reason they still call it "the practice of medicine."

See also what Hemmjo wrote.

Thread Information