Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truck runaway engine - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Jan 31, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 31, 2023)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    so what is this video showing? apart from the belching smoke, what is the issue?

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    so what is this video showing? apart from the belching smoke, what is the issue?
    The engine is peak revving and can’t be shut down. The smoke indicates it’s being fuelled by something other than it’s usual source.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

Thanks
    As per the description...the motor is stuck on throttle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Someone has sound turned Off......

Runaways often fix the problem, without wasting a lot of fuel.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    On the old Continental LDS 427 180 HP multifuel engines in the M35s there was a setting to limit the throttle movement for running anything from peanut oil diesel mix to straight Av gas.
    At the 64 C wheeled vehicle training battalion where I worked in the motor pool. one of the trucks had been filled with av gas to demonstrate it could be done but didn't know about having to reset the pump. after driving it around for a while the trainee stabbed the throttle to see it smoke when he did it stuck the tach went past red line his instructor tried to switch it off but nothing happened, he raised the hood managed to knock the fuel line off the pump but by then the turbo was already turning red he said. they jerked the breather hose off and slammed a logbook against the hole. it sucked it in like it was air that engine ran until it had sucked all of the oil out of the pan before grenade Ing .
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    The most common issue with run aways is a bad turbo charger. The shaft and seals wear out and engine oil is drawn into the intake side so there is no control. It will go until its out of oil or it blows up. If you can get to the air intake you can choke with a steel plate or wood. By that time its to late. Time for a rebuild. Old Detroit diesels had a flap that would close to prevent that from happening.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Saw a big dozer have a runaway once. Seals in the turbo went bad started pumping motor oil into intake. Blowing the thickest black smoke I have ever seen. Driver did his best to kill the engine digging the blade into the ground. Thing just kept pushing, pushing until the grousers broke traction working like dual trenches. Then a Big Bang then silence, as smoke began escaping from the massive hole in the side of the engine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Feb 1, 2023)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    One shop I worked at I was replacing a turbo on a full size city bus. You need to clean out the air charge system to remove any oil. I was in the process of removing the charge air cooler when the boss came up and asked how much longer. I responded it will be done after lunch. I'm flushing the cooler. He said I need it now, just put it back together and drive it and it will clean itself. Being young and dumb that's what I did. Lucky for me the road we were on was in a commercial area. As soon as I turned out of the lot it was like I turned on a 1000hp nitrous system. Thick smoke everywhere. It accelerated three times as fast as it normally would have. I had one heck of a ride for about an 1/8 mile. I swear I bent the brake pedal trying to stop. Was I pissed. From that point on I did not listen to that guy. He thought it was funny. I almost had to visit the men's room to change my shorts.

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't have any experience with a runaway diesel, but I always wondered why they don't just shut off the fuel and maybe, block the air intake. I've seen a lot of these where folks either intentionally or accidentally grenaded a diesel, and it's quite the sight!
    Last edited by schuylergrace; Feb 4, 2023 at 09:48 PM.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Thread Information