Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Simple low profile adjustable pad, with use and layout tips.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Simple low profile adjustable pad, with use and layout tips.

I'm running a lot of angle iron for next machine frame. Most pieces are longer than mill table, up to 13'. A vise, even our matched pair, aren't much help. Using DRO to extremes of travel makes their weight bear heavily on the ways, plus angle not that great a profile to clamp. I find clamping direct easiest, angle leg 'down'.
    These jacks are tapped well away off center, 3/8"-16 through, and middle of foot is relieved. Simple low profile adjustable pad, with use and layout tips.-adjustable-pad.jpgThe deep chamfer clears corner of inside radius [fillet] of angle iron. Button heads go deeper into corner than flat heads. Height set so leg is not in contact with table. A set screw runs in from bottom, locking the screw. Lowering profile is possible with screw counterbored, but I would use steel, for better strength in remaining threads. Longer screws make these widely adaptable. Made 4, 3 is sufficient. In clamping, 3 is a good number; allowing 1 to be moved while 2 hold the parts location. So why 4? So one can be set offline and exchanged, or used as a gauge in setting the others.
    My process;
    1] Lay out X coordinates as references. I mark prints with colored pens to ID location and size combinations. Premarking X coordinates keeps clamping from obstructing drills, countersinks and taps.
    2] As many locations are drilled allowed by table travel.
    3] Table returned to starting position and material set to new address. Pin gauges register existing hole at new address. Input last location to DRO. This maintains drawing accuracy nearly absolute instead of incremental positioning.
    4] Y axis is preserved by tight fitting keys standing in tee-slots, in direct contact with material.
    Compact bar clamps secure angle rail to keys in set-up, secured using short jacks under strap clamps.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 15, 2020), Frank S (Mar 18, 2018), jjr2001 (Mar 18, 2018), JoeH (Jul 12, 2018), Jon (Mar 18, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Mar 19, 2018), ncollar (Mar 18, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 18, 2018), PJs (Mar 19, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Toolmaker51
    I have my next quickie, thank you. Very nice idea and looks very handy.
    Thank you
    Nelson

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Aug 14, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Mar 18, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Toolmaker51! We've added your Low Profile Adjustable Pads to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: Toolmaker51's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanks very much for this idea. I could use it. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the clamping set-up you used? Your description saying the leg of the angle iron was off the table left me wondering about the bigger picture.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Thanks very much for this idea. I could use it. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the clamping set-up you used? Your description saying the leg of the angle iron was off the table left me wondering about the bigger picture.
    I'll need to figure a graphic representation to explain the process. I have related posts, how I produced machine frame parts used in their products. The initial challenge was locating accurately drilling/ tapping of inordinately long parts, compared to limited travel of a knee-type milling machine.
    That will be posted here, as details fit within the original thread.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

JoeH (Jul 13, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Great simple idea, thanks

Thanks
    Thanks. Sure would appreciate that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information