Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A simple tool for Arthritic Hands

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    The 'tree branch' saw handle you describe reminds me of my old fencing foil grip. In this context it allows the user to grip the foil securely, but quite loosely to allow for more rapid movement and reduce the force you need to apply to the foil to move it. Now you have me thinking of marrying that to a dovetail saw...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

SculptyWorks's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by philipUsesWood&Brass View Post
    I am finally getting my tools unpacked, and wanted to show a simple Hex Driver or Tool Holder for use by those with Arthritic Hands.

I have made various tools, to FIT my hands when they get "curled up" with Arthritis.

This one is super simple, and comfortable. Using a Cheap 3 Jaw Chuck that was itself a 1/4" Hex Driver, I drilled a hole in a Large Scrolling Ball from a MS Mouse. J-B Weld Epoxy.

I use it for both sizes of hex drivers (small, I think 5/32 & 1/4 inch) as well as a handle for Jewellery files & 1/8" diamond Burrs.

That Ball is comfortable to my Palm and my fingers Are "Already curled" around it!

Attachment 24815

the Bit in the driver is a Small hex Flat 1/8" tip.

philip,
    From the great Pacific NorthWET.
    I love it! Great use for the trackball! <3

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    A friend and fellow engineer lives next to a golf course and has a surfeit of golf balls that have passed over the courses high safety net fence, we've used some of the cheaper ones of them in similar ways, he e-bays the better quality balls in batches to pay for his broken green house sheet glass... He was considering making a scaled down compressed air 'spud-canon' to shoot them back, until I pointed out the illegality of making it (UK Firearms laws), so he built a 'probably legal' return machine, a golf ball trebuchet.
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; Feb 24, 2022 at 08:09 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    I recognize that ball! It's a logitech trackball!

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by philipUsesWood&Brass View Post
    I am finally getting my tools unpacked, and wanted to show a simple Hex Driver or Tool Holder for use by those with Arthritic Hands.

I have made various tools, to FIT my hands when they get "curled up" with Arthritis.

This one is super simple, and comfortable. Using a Cheap 3 Jaw Chuck that was itself a 1/4" Hex Driver, I drilled a hole in a Large Scrolling Ball from a MS Mouse. J-B Weld Epoxy.

I use it for both sizes of hex drivers (small, I think 5/32 & 1/4 inch) as well as a handle for Jewellery files & 1/8" diamond Burrs.

That Ball is comfortable to my Palm and my fingers Are "Already curled" around it!

Attachment 24815

the Bit in the driver is a Small hex Flat 1/8" tip.

philip,
    From the great Pacific NorthWET.
    Golf balls work well too. Especially for file handles. You have to drill a small hole in them so you don't want the ones that explode when you do that.

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information