Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Skin removal tool for skin grafts - photo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts

Skin removal tool for skin grafts - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jan 7, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I had a slightly more modern version of that tool used on me once to harvest a 4" by 6" section of skin from my upper thigh to fill in a void on my mid calf where a .44 magnum exploder round nearly removed my leg and it was only a flesh wound Had I been an inch to the left the bullet might have only ripped my pants but an inch to the right and they would have had to fit me for a prosthetic They turned that 4x6 piece of meat into 7 layers of strips and 350 staples later the claf muscle was stitched back together and covered. this was 32 years ago. and the few staples they couldn't find were still working their way to the surface as recent as 10 years ago. Hamburger meat looked better than my calf before they repaired it.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think I could get my cheese slicer to do that job.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    very scarey piece of kit in the wrong hands.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I had a slightly more modern version of that tool used on me once to harvest a 4" by 6" section of skin from my upper thigh to fill in a void on my mid calf where a .44 magnum exploder round nearly removed my leg and it was only a flesh wound Had I been an inch to the left the bullet might have only ripped my pants but an inch to the right and they would have had to fit me for a prosthetic They turned that 4x6 piece of meat into 7 layers of strips and 350 staples later the claf muscle was stitched back together and covered. this was 32 years ago. and the few staples they couldn't find were still working their way to the surface as recent as 10 years ago. Hamburger meat looked better than my calf before they repaired it.
    Yeah, but we wouldn't want to eat your calf Frank. Hope all is ok with your calf now.

In early 70's my table tennis mate had a section of his shoulder flesh removed(not from injury but skin cancer) and the shoulder without flesh is pretty much just bone like material & it was not pretty even with gauze on it. He had very fair skin & had been in pacific during WW2.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yeah its been ok for a long time now. The only bad thing about a graft directly to a muscle is that is how it stays since there is no fascia sheet or a web of fibers for collagen to grow so I have a 4 inch diameter section of skin directly attached to the calf muscle. I could have had several scar reduction surgeries where over time they would have gradually pulled and stretched the natural skin to an ever smaller area and the insurance I carried at the time would have covered much of it, but I didn't see the need.
    Most folks can't understand how a close range gun shot wound short of a shotgun could make such a gash so if I happened to be at the beach I would simply say I was bitten by a shark trying to eat the jellyfish that had attached itself to my leg. They would see dead jellies laying on the beach and say Ok that makes sense. I would always roll over laughing after they left
    Skin removal tool for skin grafts - photo-20190107_232325.jpgss.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 7, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Yeah its been ok for a long time now. The only bad thing about a graft directly to a muscle is that is how it stays since there is no fascia sheet or a web of fibers for collagen to grow so I have a 4 inch diameter section of skin directly attached to the calf muscle. I could have had several scar reduction surgeries where over time they would have gradually pulled and stretched the natural skin to an ever smaller area and the insurance I carried at the time would have covered much of it, but I didn't see the need.
    Most folks can't understand how a close range gun shot wound short of a shotgun could make such a gash so if I happened to be at the beach I would simply say I was bitten by a shark trying to eat the jellyfish that had attached itself to my leg. They would see dead jellies laying on the beach and say Ok that makes sense. I would always roll over laughing after they left
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190107_232325.jpgss.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	27464
    The shark was on a staple diet. GLAD IT HAS FINALLY HEALED.Some injuries take forever to loose the memory: I was hit in the thumb with a cane knife & every now & then a weird sensation occurred when doing simple things: could never hitch hike a ride as the pain was less than the sensation. I wont show my scars: it 'd be too much like Mel Gibson & renee Russo (besides none are as nasty looking as that one).LOL

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    The shark was on a staple diet. GLAD IT HAS FINALLY HEALED.Some injuries take forever to loose the memory: I was hit in the thumb with a cane knife & every now & then a weird sensation occurred when doing simple things: could never hitch hike a ride as the pain was less than the sensation. I wont show my scars: it 'd be too much like Mel Gibson & renee Russo (besides none are as nasty looking as that one).LOL
    I was back at work only a week after the incident the staples were yanked out over a period of 2 visits a couple weeks later I took up long range bicycle riding for a couple of years after that and would do as much as 75 to 100 miles on a week end best therapy for something like that there is. I would often feel a burning pulling sensation during the rides then a few days later a pimple like area would appear and I would dig out a staple I think a total of 12 staples came out that way over several years
    Yeah but Mel and Renee's scars were glued on. I got hit by an arrow where Forest Gump described his wound to Nixion when I was a kid then I broke my cousins jaw for shooting me.He went to the DR and I just used hydrogen peroxide and Watkins petrocarbon salve NO there won't be a picture probably couldn't find a 55 year old scar if there is one anyway.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I was back at work only a week after the incident the staples were yanked out over a period of 2 visits a couple weeks later I took up long range bicycle riding for a couple of years after that and would do as much as 75 to 100 miles on a week end best therapy for something like that there is. I would often feel a burning pulling sensation during the rides then a few days later a pimple like area would appear and I would dig out a staple I think a total of 12 staples came out that way over several years
    Yeah but Mel and Renee's scars were glued on. I got hit by an arrow where Forest Gump described his wound to Nixion when I was a kid then I broke my cousins jaw for shooting me.He went to the DR and I just used hydrogen peroxide and Watkins petrocarbon salve NO there won't be a picture probably couldn't find a 55 year old scar if there is one anyway.
    Weird how the body expels stuff like staples & hardwood that are well imbeded.
    You were hit by an arrow(glad your body didn't have to expel that one): while my brother flung a pro dart at me & I jumped out the way (like at the end of an eposide of green hornet or other) & the dart found its mark in our mother's forehead.
    Cheers'
    Ranald

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information