Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Slide Sledge - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

Slide Sledge - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 18, 2020), baja (Jun 18, 2020), high-side (Jun 18, 2020), Seedtick (Jun 17, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 17, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    That's actually really clever.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    That's actually really clever.
    Yes, it seems a good tool.

Until gross misuse of the word 'technology' in voice over. Just plain old physical mechanics, the lesser cousin of physics.
    Just reversed action what bodymen and differential shops been doing for decades.
    But ad writers don't know that.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Jun 20, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    This guy's inverted slide hammer is for baby pins. At the caterpillar body shop I worked at for many years we had guy who had made a 2" bore punt hammer Yes just as it sounds it fired a 2" shot shell which propelled a hardened steel projectile down the 48" long barrel. For pins that were just too expensive to lance and remove by hollowing them out, an adapter mount would be welded to the housing then the barrel would be attached to the mount holding it in alignment to the center of the pin then the anvil projectile would be loaded in the opposite end followed by the shot shell then a breech cap would be screwed in place. with the firing pin and trigger attached to a lanyard. This process was often preceded by placing the equivalent charge of as much as a 1/4 stick of dynamite inside of the center holes of the tapered end caps of the pins once both locking end caps were removed the punt hammer would be used to loosen the 4 to 8 inch diameter pin sometimes 3 feet long Once the pin had moved as little as a half an inch it may then be possible to remove the punt and attach a 100 to 200 ton port a power to push it out. Even after all of that I might have been called over to lance through the pin costing several thousand dollars as a last resort to remove it. W e called the guy who owned the punt hammer MR pin blaster.
    Those 3 4 and 5 piece pins with the sleeve bearings made on could cost $500 to $800.00 1986 dollars to remove each of them. To reinstall them after everything was cleaned polished and heating the housings and journals plus freezing the pins for 24 hours in dry ice might take only a few minutes
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 18, 2020), baja (Jun 18, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 18, 2020)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Not to mention the video shows relatively clean yellow gear, little or no sand, rust or schmutz around said pins, so there could have been some prepping before cameras rolled.
    Ms. Greene. We are not chiding your observation, it IS correct. We're only questioning the utility.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    If I were making the commercial it would have been...

"Are you a weapon of mass destruction with a hammer? Did the last guy to hold a punch for you get Workman's compensation? Could you miss the broad side of a barn? We've got the tool for you!"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 18, 2020), ibdennyak (Jun 18, 2020), sossol (Jun 18, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 18, 2020)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    If I were making the commercial it would have been...

"Are you a weapon of mass destruction with a hammer? Did the last guy to hold a punch for you get Workman's compensation? Could you miss the broad side of a barn? We've got the tool for you!"
    Lol, Ms.Greene.
    Good ad's like that disappeared with VW auto humor in the 70's. Some see fit it's past due for a return.
    Their video was not much fun, and won't impress the actual mechanics. Buyers, supervisors and safety managers, probably. Especially the dramatized clumsy sledge and drift sequence.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Lol, Ms.Greene.
    Good ad's like that disappeared with VW auto humor in the 70's. Some see fit it's past due for a return.
    Their video was not much fun, and won't impress the actual mechanics. Buyers, supervisors and safety managers, probably. Especially the dramatized clumsy sledge and drift sequence.
    In the video showing the guy with the slide hammer OK ,ok sliding sledge hammer if that is what they want tot call it. Anyway holding the thing above his head sliding it in an out to remove the pin All I can say is yeah right! How much impact force can this guy even hope to accomplish? Probably not a whole lot more than a 4 lb shop hammer but ast least with a 4 lb shop hammer and someone holding a pin knocker on a long handle will develops at least a moderate amount of impact.
    I don't know how much that sliding device weighs but if the anvil or slide is less than 12 to 15 lbs for most pins of any size it would not be of much help. I can see where it could be of a great advantage for removing the rubber filled split keepers on the bucket teeth though with the screw on attachment. The position those things are located in and being packed with crushed rocks makes them a string of profanity to remove
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 18, 2020)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yeah, Frank S & I, opposite ends of background spectrum, allies none the less.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    The reverse slide hammer format is new to me. It has some merit, though the ad is like the cleanser ads where they wipe away pretend soiling instead of the real thing.

The offset tip/head/whatever could be useful if you could keep it from skating off the pin. I could have used it on a few projects where there was not a clear path to the part to be removed.

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information