Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Snow Socks vs Snow Chains

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools

Snow Socks vs Snow Chains

This is amazing. I had no idea such a thing existed. I also can't wrap my head around how this helps, but apparently it does.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Altair (Mar 22, 2022), Biggus1942 (Mar 23, 2022), carloski (Mar 22, 2022), Floradawg (Mar 23, 2022), that_other_guy (Mar 22, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I've worn out several sets of snow chains while the hung in the rack on the side of the truck Only chained up a very few times and that was only on Snoqualmie pass the rest of the time I always managed to get through without chaining up. But in the oil fields we used them as mud chains all the time and needed them at any time through out the year

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 21, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I've worn out several sets of snow chains while the hung in the rack on the side of the truck Only chained up a very few times and that was only on Snoqualmie pass the rest of the time I always managed to get through without chaining up. But in the oil fields we used them as mud chains all the time and needed them at any time through out the year
    I've gone through a couple sets. The set I have now for my Kubuta is getting pretty ripe. I spent a few years working in the oil patch as well (Alberta oil sands) but I don't recall ever seeing anyone running chains. Not sure why. It's very swampy out there. You see some guys running these Snow Cats (not sure what the proper name is):

https://www.alltrack.ca/in-stock-now/

But most of the time it's just Ford Superduties and Dodge products with regular tires. A diesel Dodge 2500 is an Alberta Cadillac. That's how they one-up each other. "I spent $150k on my work truck!" "Pfft. I spent $175k and just put $15k tune on the motor!" Then they drive them for two years and do it all over again. I've never seen so many broke people making $150k a year. But I digress...
    Last edited by nova_robotics; Mar 21, 2022 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I forgot how to use words

Thanks

katy's Tools
    We always just called them tire chains or just a "set of chains", used them in snow, mud, or wherever one needed the extra gription.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    In a lot of the patch areas here in Texas the ground would either be red or black both when dry would be so hard you would need a jack hammer to break it up, but let it rain over night and the surface would turn to grease. Even the gin pole winch trucks with deep lug tires would just spin and slide but throw on a set of 3 railers and you could go like being on a highway, that is until enough traffic over the same area made the ruts so deep that the skid plates under the engines started pushing mud. By then you were left with only one option get a cat to drag you around. Less unnecessary movement or simply calling it a mud day would have saved everyone even the drilling company and producers a lot of money.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information