Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sodium thiopental anesthetic and execution medium - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,821 Times in 9,923 Posts

Sodium thiopental anesthetic and execution medium - GIF

Sodium thiopental, an anesthetic used in lethal injections.

Previously:

1613 German executioner's sword - photo
    Lethal doses of substances - infographic

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 28, 2024)

Thanks
    That’s a pretty nasty drug to go interstitial… it’s extremely alkaline when reconstituted.
    Strong garlic/onion taste once it hits the tongue.

In at least one US state, the reconstitution protocol is to do serial reconstitutions with the previously reconstituted syringe ( for a total of 5grms STP). Not uncommon for the drug to recrystallize in the cannula, essentially blowing the site when the pavulon and potassium chloride is infused.

Not a particularly reliable method of ending a life. Apparently, the protocol was designed by a retired surgeon (I suspect who saw way too many ‘good’ anaesthetics. Good anaesthetics look easy… belying the skill of the anesthesiologist)

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nitrous For This Useful Post:

Altair (Mar 5, 2024), ductape (Feb 28, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Very good information, Nitrous. I learned something. Maybe others have, too.

One of the main reasons for choosing lethal injection is because the procedure is generally considered to be less traumatic to the witnesses than other methods like electrocution or firing squad.

Nurses and doctors generally aren't allowed to perform it due to Hippocratic Oath and/or Declaration of Geneva. That leaves it up to others with questionable training, which may explain the success rate compared to other methods.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Being less traumatic for the witnesses is one of the leading causes so many heinous crimes are committed. Would be criminals are never exposed to the probable consequences of turning to violent crime. when it comes to capital crimes, some things should be barbaric, and traumatic. IMO
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
    .... the reconstitution protocol is to do serial reconstitutions with the previously reconstituted syringe ( for a total of 5grms STP). Not uncommon for the drug to recrystallize in the cannula, essentially blowing the site when the pavulon and potassium chloride is infused.
    I am sure that is interesting but is there any chance of having it in English. I tried Google translate but it was unable to help.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I am sure that is interesting but is there any chance of having it in English. I tried Google translate but it was unable to help.
    I know little about medicine and very little about chemical execution but it's fun to guess about stuff like this...

STP is probably an acronym of Sodium Thiopental, the anesthetic used to relax the subject before the injection of the killer drugs.

Reconstitution is the act or process of returning a dehydrated or concentrated food or other substance to its normal liquid state by adding water.

Apparently STP is supplied as a crystal/powder and must be reconstituted to be injected.

Apparently it can recrystallize in the cannula, a metal tube for insertion into the body to draw off fluid or to introduce medication, and prevent the death-dealing drugs from reaching the heart. (Too high a potassium concentration in the blood will stop the heart.)

According to Wikipedia...

"Pancuronium (trademarked as Pavulon) is an aminosteroid muscle relaxant with various medical uses.[1] It is used in euthanasia and is used in some states as the second of three drugs administered during lethal injections in the United States."

The most effective, reliable and humane execution method is still the guillotine; not to mention, for sheer deterrent impact, it can't be beat.

All the other methods - hanging, electrocution, firing squad, chemicals - are subject to things going terriblly wrong and the victim suffering needlessly.

The guillotine depends on gravity, for which there is no recorded history of it ever failing. Big sloppy sleeves on the blade make a hang-up impossible. Make the blade heavy enough and the frame high enough and incomplete severing of the neck can't happen regardless of the victim's physique.
    Last edited by mklotz; Mar 3, 2024 at 01:56 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Mar 3, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Executions should never be humane. Whatever they did to warrant an execution you can be assured they had no humane thoughts while committing the crime.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information