Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools

SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG

A useful tool we can use in a place where there isn' t electric current. For example in the car , at the country etc. It needs a 12 volt battery. It works with about 20 A current , so I 've put a 30 A relay that gets the order from a small switch. The power of the glow plug is about 230 to 250 W so we must not operate continuously more than 8-10 sec to avoid overheating. I ' ve also connected a piece of copper (or bronze) to the end of the plug to have better adhesion with the soldering wire.
    YOU CAN WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE CONSTRUCTION HERE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-2.jpg   SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-3.jpg   SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-4.jpg   SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-5.jpg   SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-6.jpg  

SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-8.jpg   SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-9.jpg   SOLDERING IRON USING GLOW PLUG-2-4-2019-10-39-34-.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mariost; Apr 2, 2019 at 03:35 AM. Reason: A mistake in the shematic (not the construction that iw ok)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariost For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 11, 2019), sossol (Apr 2, 2019), tonyfoale (Apr 3, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools
    A mistake in the shematic. The + of the battery goes direct to the resistor before the switch. The connection in the shematic is before the switch and not after it. In fact the construction is ok. I made this mistake later in the shematic.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I like it, great idea. The temperature could get to be excessive for soldering but that could easily be controlled by the supply voltage to give a longer duty cycle.
    I have several glow plugs in a scrap box, I know what to use one for now. Thanks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information