Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 310 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thehomeengineer's Tools

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill

Hi All
    I was making a toe lift from some square box section today and wanted the ends to be machined This was to aid the welding in getting everything upright and square.
    I did a sort video on the technique I use and hope some will find it useful for their own future projects.

Milling box section direct in vee blocks, for alignment of vee blocks please see:http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...make-use-67263

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill-img_1586.jpg

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill-img_1585.jpg

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill-img_1587.jpg
    Using a machine stop to cut several piece to the same length

I thank you in advance for taking the time to view the short video and hope you found it to be useful.
    The Home Engineer
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; 04-06-2018 at 04:22 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

basil3w (04-05-2018), bigtrev8xl (04-05-2018), chy_farm (04-06-2018), rlm98253 (04-04-2018), Seedtick (04-04-2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,248 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Box Section Milling Method to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Not only less cutter wear, and avoids long engagement of vertical sections; highly possible the results are more square wall to wall [adjacent OR opposing sides] and closer to a single flat plane...Less cutter deflection.
    So even if an incline is desired, milling across the corners delivers better results, just as thehomeengineer demonstrates. A swivel vise not required; just clamp at angle[s] desired.
    Now, if only we didn't utilize so much 1.5 x 4 rectangular tubing job wise. On those, I bevel-sand vertical sections [shorter] a bit beyond [higher] where milled walls [longer] that are horizontal will be.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (04-07-2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 310 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Not only less cutter wear, and avoids long engagement of vertical sections; highly possible the results are more square wall to wall [adjacent OR opposing sides] and closer to a single flat plane...Less cutter deflection.
    So even if an incline is desired, milling across the corners delivers better results, just as thehomeengineer demonstrates. A swivel vise not required; just clamp at angle[s] desired.
    Now, if only we didn't utilize so much 1.5 x 4 rectangular tubing job wise. On those, I bevel-sand vertical sections [shorter] a bit beyond [higher] where milled walls [longer] that are horizontal will be.
    Another advantage of this method are larger deepth of cuts can be made.

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information