Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Squares (lay out squares)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Squares (lay out squares)

Squares (lay out squares)-eacd0efe-f2bb-4bdb-acc5-5a7d48c3d837.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	EACD0EFE-F2BB-4BDB-ACC5-5A7D48C3D837.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	25375

Making use of some very nice pine from the back of a wardrobe, I made these squares, one as depicted in antique prints, the other two which seemed pleasing to my eye.
    Most of you know that, to try the square, you rest it on a straightedge, mark, flip it over and strike another mark. If the marks agree, the square is accurate. If not, plane off a bit!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 2, 2018), Jon (Sep 3, 2018), PJs (Sep 4, 2018), rossbotics (Sep 2, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My Grand pa was a farmer for almost as long as I can remember but before he retired he worked as a finished carpenter and cabinet maker.
    He had a lot of wooden hand planes, and squares made out of wood with ornate curves and a wooden level that he had made. I can remember stories he told us kids as to why this curve or that curve was cut into the squares. It seems to me that he probably made the curves to suit his needs and the squareness of the 2 sides was only an after thought, also some were made as set angles not squares at all.
    His last name was Mathes a cousin to George Curtis Mathes which was probably why we had several Mathes box fans and a Mathes radio

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 2, 2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 3, 2018)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thank you, Frank, I would be very interested to learn why your grandfather selected a particular curve and for what purpose, if you can remember. I also have made templates for angles other than ninety degrees, eg for spandrel frames

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Phillip it probably had something to do with him being a Mathes and a first cousin to George Curtis Mathes of Mathes coolers which later became the Curtis Mathes Corporation. I remember there used to be a television ad after the corporation was bought out and Curtis had passed away the ad ""read the most expensive television made in America and worth it"". My grandpa made high end custom cabinetry for the company from just prior to WWII until sometime before I was born then He moved to Austin for maybe 7 or 8 years until he retired a to take over the Texas part of the family farms where we wound up living and he remained there until finally selling off at the age of 94 He and my mother spent his remaining years traveling all over the country.He passed away in 1986 1 of my cousins still has several of the Mathes fans and coolers
    So I would venture to say the curves were templates or go no go gauges for the things he made while at Mathes coolers
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 4, 2018)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Yes, that makes sense. Thanks, Frank.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Squares to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information