Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Standpipe and lockable housing

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Standpipe and lockable housing

Hi All

I was looking to put a standpipe at a property I am currently renovating to feed a caravan and an auxiliary outlet for a hose pipe, which could also be locked off when I am not at the site.

The obvious starting point was to buy one, but the cost was horrendous anything from £400.00 upwards just for the housing and £60 plus for the standpipe. Hiring was also very expensive at £35/ 4 week hire period.

So I decided to fabricate a housing out of scrap metal. I had found some off cuts of galvanised 6" square electrical steel trunking in a skip so decided to use this for the main body. All the plumbing parts were purchased for under £40.

The main body of the housing was cut out, drilled and assembled using 6mm pop rivets. A couple of hinges for the lockable lid and 2 pieces of angle to fix to the ground were also riveted in place. An old hasp and staple was attached for security. To enable the plumbing hardware to be fixed to the housing a piece of 12mm ply was cut and glued with contact adessive to the inside of the body. Two small toggle latches were used on the side of the lid and a quick paint job and pipe insulation and the housing was ready to install, at a fraction of the cost of purchasing one.

The photos below show the installation of the unit, unfortunately I can't find the build photos I took.

Standpipe and lockable housing-inlet-pipe.jpg A concrete base for the housing to be bolted to.
    Standpipe and lockable housing-loosely-conected.jpgBolted down and plumbing loosely fitted.
    Standpipe and lockable housing-pressure-test.jpg Pressure testing the fittings from the feed to caravan. (No leaks )
    Standpipe and lockable housing-locked-off.jpgLocked off housing
    Standpipe and lockable housing-side-view.jpgSide view. A piece of plastic conduit was buried with both the water and caravan hook up cable so they wouldn't get damaged when bring building materials through.

Thank you for taking the time to view
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jul 11, 2023), baja (Jul 10, 2023), desbromilow (Jul 4, 2023), Inner (Jul 4, 2023), Jon (Jul 7, 2023), mr mikey (Jul 5, 2023), nova_robotics (Jul 4, 2023), Philip Davies (Jul 5, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,827 Times in 9,927 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Standpipe and Lockable Housing to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information