Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Steering column swap and mod

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Steering column swap and mod

The knuckle of the tilt steering column on my 91 F250 decided it didn't want to stay where it belonged I never change the tilt on it but just normal driving had worn the pins holding it together and it had been getting to the point where the steering wheel moved from side to side enough that it made it hard to turn the key to start it even. The movement also effected the turn signal switch sometimes it the lights would just start blinging for no reason, in other words unsafe at any speed. I checked into buying a replacement but the ones I could find were in the 400.00 to500.00 price range for junkyard pull outs no guarantee any of them would be much better than the one In my truck. SO, I decided to look in my own junkyard to see if something I had could be installed. I have a 93 Ford ranger I have been parting out. The column measured near enough to the same length the steering shaft matched the under dash mounting matched even the steering wheel looked to be the same as the one in the F250 some difference in the plastic cover Big deal. I pulled both of them out then I found the differences Both used the same ign switch set up and the plug on the wiring harness matched so that was a big plus. One difference was the ranger column was 1/2" shorter overall, that's no problem but the leaver for the automatic transmission gear selector was clocked on the opposite side and had a ball instead of a hole This had to be changed so here is what I did
    First, I cut the main tube right where it swelled from one dimeter to the next slid it down out of my way then cut off the gear shift tube on both of them I did this instead of completely disassembling both columns since they are collapsible in the event of an accident to disassemble the outer tubes they have to be pulled apart and pressed back together which will damage them, by cutting them and welding one back together since I was not monkeying around with the steering shaft itself there was no steering safety risk involved
    Steering column swap and mod-img_20230109_120232sc.jpg

Steering column swap and mod-img_20230109_130214sc.jpg
    Steering column swap and mod-img_20230109_130615sc.jpg

Steering column swap and mod-img_20230109_134057sc.jpg

Steering column swap and mod-img_20230109_140320sc.jpg

Steering column swap and mod-img_20230109_140519sc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 12, 2023), EnginePaul (Jan 11, 2023), mr mikey (Jan 11, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 15, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    after trimming some plastic it almost looks like it could have come with the truck
    Steering column swap and mod-img_20230111_135531sc.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    It's OEM.
    Very nice fix.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    It's OEM.
    Very nice fix.
    The dead giveaway is if anyone knows these old trucks the plastic around their steering columns is 4inches in diameter and the ones on the 93 rangers are nearer to being 6 inches and slightly ovoid in shape makes for a better fitment of the tilting wheel. the 3/4-ton diesel has cruise, but it has never worked since I've had it the ranger wheel also has the exact same shape and it had cruise, but the buttons are slightly different I may or probably will not attempt to get that feature functioning as I have almost never used cruise on any vehicle I ever owned or drove I kept the harness for the multi-function part of the turn indicator arm and might eventually change out the wiper motor with the one from the ranger to have the delay and multiple speed selection but again I rarely ever need the wipers I usually have to9 replace them each year for the state safety inspection since they will have deteriorated without ever having been used I will probably add a relay and connect the high low headlight beam function but will maintain the floor switch to me they are just more natural to dim or brighten the lights, but the ability to flash the beams at times to warn oncoming traffic from the signal arm is handy

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Ford F250 Steering Column Replacement to our Steering category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information