Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Step drill bit - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

Step drill bit - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (May 31, 2022), KustomsbyKent (May 30, 2022), old_toolmaker (May 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    My preferred tool for drilling ROUND holes in sheet metal or other thin stock - material where a conventional drill usually produces a triangular hole.

I paint the cone step just above the one for my desired size with layout dye so that, in the heated excitement of drilling, I know where to stop pushing the drill.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (May 31, 2022), Duke_of_URL (May 31, 2022), KustomsbyKent (May 30, 2022), mdhatter3 (May 30, 2022), NortonDommi (May 31, 2022), rgsparber (May 30, 2022)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I love step drill bits! As Marv said, these are what's preferred for making truly round holes in thin metal. They also make nice round holes in thicker material if you have step drills with longer steps.... I've got one that is for 1/4" thick material, up to 1/2" in diameter. I also have others that are the more typical 1/8" steps, and go up to 3/4 and one that's up to 1-3/8" diameter. I have a few in metric as well.
    For drilling aluminum, if you have a lot of holes to do, lubricate the bit with WD-40 frequently, as that keeps the aluminum from galling up and keeps the chips moving.
    I have had pretty good success with ones from Harbor Freight as long as you don't abuse them. They are easily half the price of name brand ones like Irwin, etc.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

baja (May 31, 2022), Duke_of_URL (May 31, 2022), Frank S (May 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    I love step drill bits! As Marv said, these are what's preferred for making truly round holes in thin metal. They also make nice round holes in thicker material if you have step drills with longer steps.... I've got one that is for 1/4" thick material, up to 1/2" in diameter. I also have others that are the more typical 1/8" steps, and go up to 3/4 and one that's up to 1-3/8" diameter. I have a few in metric as well.
    For drilling aluminum, if you have a lot of holes to do, lubricate the bit with WD-40 frequently, as that keeps the aluminum from galling up and keeps the chips moving.
    I have had pretty good success with ones from Harbor Freight as long as you don't abuse them. They are easily half the price of name brand ones like Irwin, etc.
    I have one that has the sizes of conduit knockouts, sometimes much handier than using my Greenlee knockout punches
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Duke_of_URL (May 31, 2022)

Thanks
    A step drill is good for chamfering and deburring holes. One huge step drill can cover holes from 6-60mm.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information