Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stepper motor encoder cover

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Stepper motor encoder cover

Hi All
    This is a two piece aluminium cover to protect a stepper motor encoder, when it is finally fitted to the rotary table project I am currently working on.

Stepper motor encoder  cover-908e620b-fd22-48cb-9aeb-092204e03107.jpg Stepper motor encoder  cover-06fa7e88-edfe-4c6d-a747-e61f8182aa85.jpg Stepper motor encoder  cover-1989ea8b-2988-4933-bfdc-ad66d1132891.jpg Stepper motor encoder  cover-6c92caa2-b630-4122-9529-b659e6093cd3.jpg
    thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Nov 27, 2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added photo

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

high-side (Nov 28, 2019), Jon (Nov 28, 2019), Karl_H (Nov 27, 2019), Paul Jones (Jan 15, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Stepper Motor Cover to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Claudio HG's Tools
    Cool. With my friends we are assessing to develop a board to control a stepper motor with encoder feedback to make a closed loop driver, what driver are you planning to use?

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi
    I was very lucky to be given a expensive controller but I have used a cheap Micro-step Driver Controller TB6600 from Ebay. I am going to build a CNC mill (eventually) so will use the better controller on that project for a fourth axis.
    To control the counts of the encoder I have used an Arduino Nano and the rest is driven via an Arduino Mega. I wish I could take credit for all the work but I have a great 4th year electronics apprentice working in our Lab at the moment and with out his input and help with the programming and wiring issues I have come up against, this project would probably be in a bottom draw or a cupboard, never to be seen again. To see the stepper motor move and the encoder count is fantastic .

Until I made a catastrophic error in wiring the encoder to the motor supply and blowing the two chips on the encoder PCB.
    At the time of writing this we are changing the chips (when I say we, I mean the royal we )

I think we will overcome this miner little incident by replacing the two blown chips with new ones. Again when I say miner incident I was so cross with myself as it was all working yesterday and only needed tidying up and a coupling making to join the stepper motor to rotary table.

Not sure Claudio HG if this has answered your question

Thanks

Claudio HG's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi
    Not sure Claudio HG if this has answered your question
    Yes it had, and even has added a good conversational feeling

Cheers from the Alps, Claudio.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information