Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stool from stub axle

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Stool from stub axle

When I had to carry my workshop stool for the "N"th time from the workshop to the machine shop, I had had enough.

So had a look around the workshop at what was quick and easy. I did not have the time to cut all fancy angles to get a 4 leggert tapering outwards stool like the one I currently have. No this had to be something with a simple center post, but then stability is always an issue.

The spare wheel for the trailer is lying in the workshop as it rusts when fitted to the trailer...I have an old A2 Jetta body that is is stored behind the garage so wifie can have something to complain about when there is nothing to complain about.

So off came one of the rear stub axles. A 5 mm plate to suit was fabricated and a piece of heavy gauge pipe was cut to length. The stub axle was reassembled keeping all its seals and bearings in place and bolted to the rim in the normal fashion. I made the stool a little taller than the original as the natural tendency is to rest your feet in the tyre. The backing plate of the drum brake made the perfect backing support for the sitting part and 2 pieces of MDF cut very roughly to side was secured with a few 5mm screws. Once everything as assembled a quick dressing of the flap wheel made it perfect for sitting on.

Stool from stub axle-stool-1.jpg Stool from stub axle-stool-2.jpg Showing the use of the drum backing plate.

And then with a lick of green paint as that is all I have standing doing nothing.

Stool from stub axle-stool-3.jpg

The nice thing about it being able to rotate is that my machine shop is only about 1.5 meters wide, with the lathe.milling machine on the one side and all the drills and measuring goodies behind me. Now it is a simple "twist" and I can reach everything.
    Don't know if the trailer will ever see its spare wheel again

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; Apr 13, 2020 at 07:03 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

candsgrandmaster (Apr 14, 2020), Jon (Apr 17, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,039 Times in 9,990 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Workshop Stool to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information