Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storing Ratchet Straps for Quick Deployment

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Let’s all put forward our ideas for using socks. 1. Protecting your block plane (special socks sold by Lie Neilson). 2 Storing charged batteries to prevent discharge in transit.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Mar 21, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Let’s all put forward our ideas for using socks. 1. Protecting your block plane (special socks sold by Lie Neilson). 2 Storing charged batteries to prevent discharge in transit.
    Fitted dust cover for the objective lens of a telescope.

Belt-hung (from slits made with sharp knife) holster for various tools or airgun pellets.

Wear one over a latex glove and paint awkward shapes directly with your hand.

Load with bar of soap and use as a sap (no, I was never incarcerated; just read a lot)

Arrrghyle socks can be used to enhance your pirate costume.

and then there's this...

Storing Ratchet Straps for Quick Deployment-15s8e8.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Mar 21, 2020), thevillageinn (Mar 21, 2020), verticalmurph (Mar 21, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    There is also inner tubes cut to rings, velcro straps, tie straps, etc. I like that the socks can cover the whole strap though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Mar 23, 2020)

Thanks
    I like the sock idea. I'm a pack rat to. I save that stretchy tape like stuff that doctors use to hold a temporary bandage in place. There is no adhesive, it just sticks to itself when rapped around. Similar to velcro. It's easy to undo and is reusable. Have not tried to buy a roll of my own. Just another idea for storing ratchet straps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMetal For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Mar 23, 2020)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Storing Ratchet Straps for Quick Deployment-ratchet-straps.jpg
    I have tried bicycle tubes, rubber bands, etc. They all ozone or crack over time. I have found these mini-bungee cords are easy to use and are incredibly quick. They also don't seem to deteriorate like the bigger, longer bungees do. Maybe there is a material difference. They can be found just about anywhere. They are used to tension a tarp around the metal frame in outdoor tents.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

asterix (Nov 1, 2022), Philip Davies (Mar 24, 2020), rgsparber (Mar 23, 2020)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I forgot to mention the greatest benefit of the short bungee cords is once the ratchet straps are deployed and holding cargo. We have all been frustrated of what to do with the long, excess, unused strap and stopping it from flying in the breeze. You simply wrap it up in your hand and bungee the bundle to anything available like the ratchet mechanism or onto one of the straps in tension. That can not be done with the sock idea since they have to be slipped over the loose bundle and everything is tied down.

Many thanks to Rich for this thread and all his others that have come before. Your presentation is always the highest quality and inspiring.
    Last edited by Saltfever; Mar 23, 2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: word substitution

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

asterix (Nov 1, 2022), Philip Davies (Mar 24, 2020), rgsparber (Mar 23, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    I forgot to mention the greatest benefit of the short bungee cords is once the ratchet straps are deployed and holding cargo. We have all been frustrated of what to do with the long, excess, unused strap and stopping it from flying in the breeze. You simply wrap it up in your hand and bungee the bundle to anything available like the ratchet mechanism or onto one of the straps in tension. That can not be done with the sock idea since they have to be slipped over the loose bundle and everything is tied down.

Many thanks to Rich for this thread and all his others that have come before. Your presentation is always the highest quality and inspiring.
    Saltfever,

Come to think of it, I have hassled with the excess strap. Your short bungee cords do a nice job of solving the problem. Now, what other solutions exist?

Thanks for the kind words. May you remain healthy.

Rick
    PS: After thinking about this for a while, I think I have a workable solution that uses the cut-up sock. The article has been updated: https://rick.sparber.org/RatchetStrapStorageBands.pdf
    Last edited by rgsparber; Mar 24, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I cut the top off of 16-20 ounce PET plastic water bottles and slide my straps into them. They fit nicely into the pockets (4 on each side) in the small rear doors of my extended cab Tacoma.

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    Socks are a good idea.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    I like the idea of using cut bottles or retired socks for strap storage. It's time to try that. If you have a truck with a somewhat heavy rubber bed liner, tucking the unused part of the strap under the liner after you have tightened everything down helps keep it from flapping around and getting damaged. It works surprisingly well.

Thread Information