Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuck CO2 cartridge puller

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Stuck CO2 cartridge puller

A recent thread on reusing spent CO2 cartridges inspired me to use one to solve an annoying problem I sometimes encounter.

My "tack driver" pellet rifles each use two cartridges installed in a close-fitting tube under the barrel. When they are both spent and the end plug is removed the last cartridge inserted slides out easily under the influence of gravity: but, sometimes, the remaining cartridge hangs up somehow and doesn't want to slide out on its own. (I have theories of why this occurs, but that would make this too long.)

If I try to use a magnetic pickup tool (imagine a magnet on the end of a pull-out radio antenna) the magnet sticks to the steel tube before it reaches the cartridge and, even if it did, it would be off center which would mean the pulling force would be off center.

What's needed is a device that would hold the magnet centered in the tube as it's slid down to latch on to the stuck cartridge.

I took a spent cartridge and turned a flat on the hemispherical end. A short length of wooden dowel was epoxied to this flat and a neodymium button magnet epoxied to the dowel. Since the spent cartridge fits nicely in the tube, the magnet will be held on the tube centerline and can't latch onto the walls - hence the use of the spent cartridge. The wooden standoff dowel prevents the magnet from magnetizing the cartridge.

There was just enough meat left in the hole in the other end to tap it 5-44, the thread on the Hoppe's airgun cleaning rods. The rod gives me plenty of reach to the stuck cartridge.

I haven't used it in anger yet but I'm fairly sure it will work. The stuck cartridges aren't badly stuck; once the magnet locks on a gentle pull on the cleaning rod will break it free.

Stuck CO2 cartridge puller-p1010344.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 16, 2022), DIYer (Feb 16, 2022), Frank S (Feb 15, 2022), Jon (Feb 18, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 15, 2022), rebuilder1954 (Feb 20, 2022), Resident114 (May 8, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 19, 2022), Sleykin (Sep 29, 2023)

Supporting Member Retro Steam Tech's Avatar
    Thanks

Retro Steam Tech's Tools

Thumbs up

Brilliant idea

At the moment I only have pistols so stuck cartridges are not a problem but I will remember this for the future.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your CO2 Cartridge Puller to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Resident114 (May 8, 2023)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Steam Tech View Post
    Brilliant idea

At the moment I only have pistols so stuck cartridges are not a problem but I will remember this for the future.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Most pistols the cartridge is in the gun butt and fully accesible. However, there are pistols with a cartridge tube under the barrel. The venerable Crosman 2240...

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/c...iber?m=221#609

is just one example. (I have one and it's my second most accurate pistol.)

However, I've never had a problem with cartridges sticking in it.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    I would like opinions on "most accurate pistol" as I'm setting up to start basement shooting, in hopes of controlling a shaky hand that has been with me for years. I know in the past, repetitive controlled use of my hand has helped, but I don't want to drive hundreds of nails to achieve steadiness - much more fun to plink...

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Love the humor, Marv. And hope you never have to use that tool in anger. ��

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotsman Hosie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RexB View Post
    I would like opinions on "most accurate pistol" as I'm setting up to start basement shooting, in hopes of controlling a shaky hand that has been with me for years. I know in the past, repetitive controlled use of my hand has helped, but I don't want to drive hundreds of nails to achieve steadiness - much more fun to plink...
    I'm really a rifle guy but I do own a few pistols, though certainly not an expert on the subject. With that in mind, here are a few thoughts on the subject.

Pistol prices can range from <$100 to thousands of dollars. I suggest you start at low price and work your way up as your steadiness improves.

My most accurate pistol is the Daisy 717...

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/d...h-match?m=1241

Side-lever single stroke cocking, 0.177 caliber, it's extremely accurate and has enough punch to kill gophers (verified by experiment). It's an excellent introduction to the sport. It has an excellent thumb rest grip which should help with your shakiness.

If hand strength is an issue, perhaps you would prefer my second choice, the Crosman 2240...

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/c...iber?m=221#609

CO2 powered, single shot 0.22 caliber, the gun is well balanced and accurate for both target and pest control.

As I said, there are many more options. I've dealt with both these suppliers...

https://www.pyramydair.com/

https://www.airgundepot.com/

Both have excellent web presences; browse their sites and you can learn lots more about air pistols.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RexB View Post
    If you're shooting indoors you will need a good pellet trap. You might get some ideas from my design...

Pellet trap
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Marve is correct a good pellet trap is a must for indoor practice also nice for outdoors. No matter if you practice indoors or outdoors taking the time to set up a safe target area with Richotte control is as important for air guns as it is for firearms. All of the energy is not absorbed every time a pellet strikes a target. if a pellet happens to strike right on the edge kinetic energy will be deflected at angles even though the pellet partially deforms, I like light weight suspended targets that are allowed to swing upwards or knock over, providing I have top trap as well as bottom trap, never sideways.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I'm back and hoping I get started on this soon. I have a cheap CO2 pistol left from my son's teenage target practice that I'll start with, and hopefully I'll be motivated to move up to a better pistol in a few months. I appreciate your recommendations and the urls of good dealers.
    I set up a range in our unfinished attic for my son and his close friend. The rules were pretty simple; if you get hurt, I must be told. If your pellet ends up anywhere but downrange, explain why. Never brag or boast to anyone else about the range, or it goes away. They still won't talk about it 20 years later, except to each other and me! They're great adults (I was tempted to say kids, but they have families now). Neither got hurt after hundreds of afternoons plinking, although there were some pellets scattered all over the subfloor.
    That attic is where I'm typing from, completely finished, so I'll set up a range in the basement.

Thread Information