Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Subway train crushes bike tossed onto tracks - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,832 Times in 9,930 Posts

Subway train crushes bike tossed onto tracks - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 29, 2022), Rangi (Apr 1, 2022)

Thanks
    Any remote chance that the guy waiting for a train to come so he could get a dramatic video could have instead notified the system of the hazard?

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by awright View Post
    Any remote chance that the guy waiting for a train to come so he could get a dramatic video could have instead notified the system of the hazard?
    It's likely the the guy taking the video PUT the bike on the tracks! Also, that train stopped very fast!
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    His video alone if recorded on a personal device may be sufficient circumstantial evidence to cause a jury to conclude the high probability it could have been him or her who placed the bicycle on the tracks creating a situation which could be called reckless and endangerment with intent leading to a felony conviction. people who do things like this don't consider the consequences of their actions, There could have been patrons standing on the platform waiting for a train who could have been injured by debris flung away from the train as the wheels ran over the bike

Edit, however for all we know this could have been a stagged demonstration done by the transportation authority to show what happens to objects placed or fallen on to the tracks.
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 30, 2022 at 09:50 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Edit, however for all we know this could have been a stagged demonstration done by the transportation authority to show what happens to objects placed or fallen on to the tracks.
    Not sure the Transit Authority would perform such a test with passengers in the train for liability reasons.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    Not sure the Transit Authority would perform such a test with passengers in the train for liability reasons.
    But they might if it were empty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    But they might if it were empty
    This wasn't that though, you can see people in some of the cars. A woman in a red shirt or jacket you can see through the window at :13 just before the arch flash and a guy in a black jacket in the door at :37

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    This wasn't that though, you can see people in some of the cars. A woman in a red shirt or jacket you can see through the window at :13 just before the arch flash and a guy in a black jacket in the door at :37
    Then it could be a case of willful intent, or the bike could have been knocked onto the tracks as the result of a scuffle between 2 or more persons. The only way to know for sure would be statements from first hand witnesses or footage from a security camera

Thanks
    As an engineer who has worked with transit authorities for decades I can say the concept of this being an intentional test of some sort is utterly preposterous.

Since the video shows the opposite platform being vacant, at least within the camera's view, and nobody rushing up to consider the situation, we must assume that a nut case or a scuffle on the opposite platform resulted in the bike being on the track and that the responsible person(s) had fled. My point was that for the videographer to wait patiently to capture the train running over the bike on camera instead of rushing to an emergency phone present on most transit platforms to alert the system of the hazard is the height of irresponsibility and possibly a crime in itself. Even if it turned out that he didn't have time to stop the train, most people would be rushing around in panic trying to do something, not waiting patiently for the train to arrive, camera in hand.

Additionally, the likelihood that the videographer might have placed the bike on the opposite track is extremely low. He would have had to climb down from his platform and over the third rail and placed the bike in position, then climbed back over the tracks and up to the platform, presumably knowing that he was safe from arriving trains. Extremely unlikely. If he tried to fling the bike from his platform the likelihood that he could get it through the row of steel posts between tracks is also extremely low.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information