Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sunflower harvesting - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I do not understand this video. I grew up where they harvest sunflowers with a combine, and there are two types, confection, and oil. Either are combined with machinery, not hand picked. Now I have family that has hand picked field corn (not sweet corn) within my life time, and that looks like this operation, except there is a special hook that is strapped on each hand to pull the husk loose. In the old days, long before me, well trained horses pulled a wagon along side and with voice command would pull forward as the rows being worked were completed.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Ditto, the farm I worked on used a small combine harvester with a blower/ thresher inside which smashed the heads and the seeds dropped into a bin, whereas the stalk, leaves, head were blown out the back as rough cut silage. I remember walking beside that harvester for a few days with the sole task of reattaching the access door to the blower section each time the hinge failed and it blew off. - too busy to stop harvest and fix the door, but I reckon we lost a few hours across that harvest each time I had to signal the driver, run up and put the door back on, and rewedge it with the stick we were using... used my entire lunchbreak just finding and shaping a new stick to replace the one which broke... could have used the same lunch break to run a few self tappers in and stop the door opening , but it wasn't my farm, or my harvester... the joys of being "unskilled labour"

Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I do not understand this video. I grew up where they harvest sunflowers with a combine, and there are two types, confection, and oil. Either are combined with machinery, not hand picked. Now I have family that has hand picked field corn (not sweet corn) within my life time, and that looks like this operation, except there is a special hook that is strapped on each hand to pull the husk loose. In the old days, long before me, well trained horses pulled a wagon along side and with voice command would pull forward as the rows being worked were completed.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    When it comes to growing and harvesting sunflowers, the process seems pretty complicated:

Though this video is really enlightening, a question still lingers in my head:
    -How the heck does the planting machine orient the seeds as to keep the flowers pointed straight towards the Sun?

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Where there're a billion people hand labor is cheaper than automation.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information