Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: swing away band saw mount

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

swing away band saw mount

When dealing with a confined space such as the inside of a 45 ft Household goods moving van converted to a machine shop, if something can be moved out of the way but still used where ever you put it like next to a door way it makes sense to try.
    Today was the first nice day we have had in a week but I still have several projects that need completed inside of my machine shop van.
    So what I did was to take the same type of mounting hardware that I made for my jib cranes to make a swing away rack for my 10 x 7 band saw.
    The frame is 1 x 3 x 1/8" rect tubing with a 3 x 4 x 3/8 " angle iron cross bar.
    swing away band saw mount-dscf6882c.jpg
    Then to make it off side arm stiff like the primary side I boxed the angle iron cross bar
    swing away band saw mount-dscf6883c.jpg
    After mounting the saw, it is now in the same relative position it always was. As you can see by the strips in the floor it extends almost halfway across the width of the floor.
    swing away band saw mount-dscf6884c.jpg
    in this picture it is swung all the way outside. With the door secured in the open position later I can make a clip on roller or shelf to attach to the cargo hold slots in the door to support long materials
    swing away band saw mount-dscf6887c.jpg
    In this position the saw fits nicely against 1 of the side doors taking up much less floor space allowing free access to the front end of the van
    swing away band saw mount-dscf6888c.jpg
    Since it doesn't block the second door where we go in and out of the trailer we will hardly notice it being there when not in use.
    swing away band saw mount-dscf6889c.jpg
    I still need to make a stop lock to hold the saw in whatever position I need it to be in at the time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 14, 2016), kbalch (Mar 14, 2016), Paul Jones (Mar 14, 2016), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 13, 2019)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    As one who also works in confined space I'm always interested to see how others do it. I work out of my 2 car garage right now and have everything except my lathe on castors. For several years I've contemplated going to a shipping container to be able reclaim the garage for the cars. I lived in a 21' travel trailer in college so I know about being efficient with space. But it's also like living/working in a hallway. And if set up right doesn't bother me.

There are good and bad about the container over a trailer. #1 being its at ground level and I enjoy working outside rather than inside to weld/grind/fabricate. And envision pavers around the container with a side roll up door and portable shade around the container so all my equipment could be rolled out for different projects like what I do right now. The bad though is moving or transporting a container.

Not to long ago a container setup like what I was thinking about came up for sale on CL. It had full size mill, 12x40 lathe, drill press and horizontal saw about the size of yours in a 20' container. The "good idea" I got from his rig was his mig welder and all associated cables were mounted on the inside of one of the big swinging end doors with his oxy-acetylene mounted inside of the other door. That would be perfect for me because I would only use them outside anyway.

Good job and I look fwd to what other things you come up with in limited space.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 14, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Frank S! We've added your Swing Away Bandsaw Mount to our Storage and Organization category, as well as to your builder page: Frank S' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

ederangelo's Tools
    Put movie video it work in YouTube

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I almost never make videos of things that I do just too distracting from my work. Easy to snap a pic then lay the camera down and go back to work.When doing videos trying to stay in frame while working is impossible for me.
    I have thought of a hat cam that would see everything my eyes see but that in itself would mean hours of editing. in order to make a comprehensive video.
    Most of the threads I see in any forums that focus on their videos I don't even bother to follow the thread either

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Jun 25, 2016)

Thread Information