Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switchable Magnet | Strength Test

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    This video has suggestions on improving vacuum plate holding force on a milling machine. My apologies, I have worked on this for an hour to try and provide a cleaner way to get to the information. I am only offering this as support information on the use of sandpaper.

Go to 3:33

:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Saltfever; Jan 17, 2022 at 01:04 AM. Reason: linking problems

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    300 grit waterproof abrasive sheet is 0.1 mm thick (I've just measured it) + ~0.03 mm glue (maybe)

Adding the sandpaper increased the holding force by 15%, which means it was the right move (for the lateral applications mostly in woodworking). For welding applications, you can remove the 0.13 mm sandpaper to gain that "little" extra of magnetic flux.

Obviously the magnetic field weakens when we increase the distance, but it is insignificant in this case.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 17, 2022 at 01:26 AM.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Jan 17, 2022)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    edit . . . Tiger's website appears to be a work-in-progress . . . link to the privacy policy (on the shopping cart check out page) is broken.
    The broken link is fixed. Much better than others and nicely done. Very easy to read.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Jan 17, 2022)

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    Thanks for pointing the broken links.

In fact the pages were ready long ago but saved as Draft, and I didn't realise they weren't published. Thanks again for your help!
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Damm!! I just ordered the magnets and the .pdf. Then I saw the shipping $99.00 I di not see the shipping until I had ordered.

Please CANCEL the order! I do not know how else to cancel the order.

Ralph

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    edit . . . I do not know how else to cancel the order.Ralph
    You might try contacting him here:

info[at]tigertoolspro.com

It is listed in the "Refunds and returns" description.
    Last edited by Saltfever; Jan 18, 2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: formatting

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    He came through with a much better shipping price! I just received the magnets today. I am not particularity impressed the the magnets holding power.
    They are rather easy to move with the magnet(s) engaged, if you just bump them they move.

Ralph

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Jan 25, 2022)

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    I'm glad the magnets reached you so fast.

I clearly demonstrated the magnets strength both when the vertical and horizontal forces were applied, and it is around 6kg = 13.5 lbs per magnet.
    It works perfectly well in woodworking applications such as magnetic fences or jig holders. It also works fine for welding jobs to align the parts at the right angle.

I don't like to talk bad about the competition but since you brought this topic, if you are familiar with MagSwitch 150 which claims cosmic magnets breakaway point at 150 lbs = 68 kg, and they can't even hold the featherboard on the table saw.

The bumping force that is capable of moving my magnets must be bigger than 6 kg per magnet. In my video I showed how hard it is to move my magnets with the scale, in the so called typical use, where you don't knock them abruptly.

I will buy the MagSwitch and make a comparison video side by side to clear the waters around MagSwitch strength.

PS
    Please add info[at]tigertoolspro.com to your contacts, as Gmail is blocking all of our communication. Even though my email is a reply to your email, it still says it is unsolicited email. There goes Alphabet monopolistic practices, trying to suppress every small business.
    I emailed you the Build Plans (which most customers download using the link you are redirected to upon completing the payment) several times from various email addresses, and your Gmail seems so paranoid that it blocks all the emails sent to you.
    Please look in your Spam folder, and update me if you found all my old emails, or Gmail blocked them and didn't even Spam them.
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 25, 2022 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks, I have MagSwitch magnets so one of these days I might get around to comparing them.

Ralph

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    Please share the comparison results. I'm also interested whether MagSwitch can withhold 150lbs as they claim. We both know the answer, but it would be interesting to actually measure their puppies.

Thread Information