Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switchable Magnet | Strength Test

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

Switchable Magnet | Strength Test

The switchable magnets is the most satisfactory project I have built to date.

What makes it so special is the fact I used the Nikola Tesla handwritten notes, which I followed despite they didn't seem to follow the common logic or sense. And towards my great surprise, the switchable magnet works and it exceeded my expectations.

8 1 cubic centimeter NeoDymium magnets are the heart of this device, combined with 2 1 square centimeter profile iron bars, around 7 cm long, serving as a frame and the magnetic field loops conductor and amplifier.
    The Nikola Tesla design is different from the most popular switchable magnets on the market, and the magnets arrangement is totally different, which is why it didn't make a scientific sense at first glance. Now I do fully understand how it works, and I take my hat off to the genius of Sir Nikola Tesla. His handwritten notes were a bit cryptic as well, but I'm happy to have figured them out, and after numerous prototypes and thorough testing, I found the best proportions and configuration, to achieve the best magnetic field amplification.

A single switchable magnet can lift up to 6 kg = 13.2 lbs. And it can withhold the force at 90 degrees on the steel surface (table saw / bandsaw / drill press) up to 6.7 kg = 15 lbs. Of course combining more switchable magnets will multiply the holding force capabilities.

In this video I demonstrate the real life test results, both of the lifting and 90 degree resistance to sliding on the steel surface.

I also listed quite a number of possible applications for this amazing tool.

Because it is fully made out of metal: aluminum, stainless steel, mild steel bars, neodymium magnets, these switchable magnets are welding friendly, which expands their functionality even further than just woodworking machinery assistance, such as jigs / fixtures / magnetic fences / feather boards / miter gauges / stop blocks / cut delimiters and whatever your imagination brings to your mind.

IF you don't have time or tools to make them, you can buy them off the shelf on:
    https://tigertoolspro.com/product/sw...net-twin-pack/

Alternatively you can purchase the build plans in PDF exported from Sketchup, showing in details every angle, profile, dimensions, components used, assembly instructions and so on:
    TigerToolsPro.com

The full build video is coming at the end of January 2022, so depending on when you are reading this description, it might be already available.

I truly enjoyed this project, as it brought limitless satisfaction to me.

I spent a lot of time and resources while prototyping this build and making the final product, so your purchase of the build plans is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for watching and your support!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 13, 2022 at 09:49 PM.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jan 16, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 16, 2022), Ralphxyz (Jan 13, 2022), saguaro (Jan 17, 2022), Tule (Jan 15, 2022)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I went to TigerToolsPro.com and searched for magnets but did not find anything.

Would you let me know when they are available?
    The magnets and the .PDF.
    Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jan 16, 2022), tiger carpenter (Jan 13, 2022)

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    Thanks for your interest in the switchable magnets.

I've added the switchable magnets to the TigerToolsPro.com

I've just released the Strength Test video, and now editing the Full Build video, which will be released in 3rd week of Jan 2022.

I'll add the build plans to TigerToolsPro.com website by 16 Jan 2022, as I need to edit them to reflect the final dimensions and changes to the last prototype. They will be USD9.99 until June 2022, and then USD19.99

You should be able to build it by just watching the upcoming build video, but the plans purchases are welcome to support my research and help me cover my expenses on the tools and materials.

Please subscribe to Tiger Carpenter on YouTube and you will be notified when the build video is published.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 13, 2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added the purchase link to the switchable magnets
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jan 16, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tiger carpenter! We've added your Switchable Magnets to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: tiger carpenter's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    I've just added the Switchable Magnet Build Plans:
    https://tigertoolspro.com/product/sw...t-build-plans/

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    The claim about multiplication of the magnetic flux makes this worth looking into and I like the addition of sandpaper. Also, according to Pierson Workholding.com the sandpaper (friction) greatly improves lateral holding force exponentially! (I have zero affiliation with anyone)

Tiger's website appears to be a work-in-progress. Very nicely done but the link to the privacy policy (on the shopping cart check out page) is broken. He is straight forward about privacy so I assume it is a small detail that will get fixed soon. 99% of online users don't care (or read) the policy so I am posting this for the 1%ers.

Note to admin: I could not insert the link to the bold italic text above without it displaying in full screen mode taking over this entire post so I have unlinked it. The part about sandpaper appears at 3:37 in one of the vacuum-plate videos. It is good information for those interested in a holding technique requiring friction. The Pierson link works fine. The difference is the 2nd link was a video and I copied the URL at the time point in the video to save viewers from scrolling through the whole thing and maybe missing the important part.
    Last edited by Saltfever; Jan 17, 2022 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Link problems

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Jan 16, 2022)

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    Thanks for your comments!
    I measured the sandpaper gains of the lateral holding force, and it was only 15% improvement, so it's not exponential but worth doing anyway.

I think if we measured the forces while dragging, the friction = lateral holding force gains would be bigger (again not exponentially but few times, especially when comparing the slippery hockey ice platform like sliding on the skates to walking on ice with good grip shoes), but we are after that borderline / initial movement moment after which the magnet or fence moves. Once it moves, we consider it as a failure, because the accuracy of the cut depends on the immobilised setup.

So the sandpaper gave me 15% improvement, which is fair enough but I admit I was hoping it would be more than that.

PS
    I will make an update video, when I add the sandpaper to the whole length of the magnetic fence's base (under the aluminum extrusion). Definitely it will help, but let's not be overly optimistic to avoid disappointment.
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 16, 2022 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    I went to TigerToolsPro.com and searched for magnets but did not find anything.

Would you let me know when they are available?
    The magnets and the .PDF.
    Ralph
    K & J magnets will probably have them.

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    I've added the Switchable Magnets to the TigerToolsPro.com

I've added the Switchable Magnet Build Plans to the TigerToolsPro.com
    https://tigertoolspro.com/product/sw...t-build-plans/

Nobody else will sell them because I designed them from scratch and I manufacture them as well.
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 16, 2022 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added the requested links to the Switchable Magnets and Switchable Magnets Build Plans

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I'm not sure but doesn't magnetism decrease as the square of the distance? 1 mm thick sandpaper will lower your magnetic strength compared to metal-to-metal contact. But since you found increased force with added friction it is certainly worth it. The link I referenced was about increasing the lateral holding force of a vacuum plate. Basically, reacting the lateral force when milling with an vertical end mill. Since the vacuum plate is using atmospheric pressure x area, the force will not change by adding some frictional thickness under it. Again, I'm not sure but maybe Pierson's vacuum tests produced a stronger force than you experienced with magnetism. I agree, "exponential" is a very strong word to be using but the test parameters are also totally different. Doesn't friction increase with weight or force? There may be a point using vacuum plate that area can increase to such a point we might be seeing exponential values.

I tried to edit my post above again, to provide a direct link to the vacuum plate suggestion. I will put it in a separate post.

Thread Information