Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tagging a bison - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,888 Times in 9,939 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 20, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Feb 19, 2023), tuchie (Feb 20, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    A new media unit...

Big as a bison's head!

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 21, 2023), odd one (Feb 20, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    A new media unit...

Big as a bison's head!
    OH,NO! just when I was getting comfortable with a boulder as big as a boulder.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Know I've relayed this before, entertaining never the less.

Live in town but there's farmland and ranches 360° around all of Missouri. Well, there was a Craigslist ad, a guy who desperately wanted to rid himself of a buffalo he'd raised.
    Provided a single picture, taken hiding behind a telephone pole, the Buffalo, 80 or 90 ft away. Because he didn't dare expose himself to it at all. Apparently, not a well-tempered example.

He invited potential buyers to come out prepared to haul off. They could shoot it, they could anethetize it, they could tag it, they could rope it, they could dart it.
    Capture by whatever means necessary, they were going to fix the fence regardless.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    A new media unit...

Big as a bison's head!
    That man is pretty short, but the bull is a good sized one. I'd put his age at 8-10, based on his horn caps. And you can tell he is a bull because of the shape, size, and angle of the horn caps...

Got to be careful, even in the chute, that bull can flick his head enough to catch an arm with his horn. Lots of hair, which does not hold him still.

I don't miss those days...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    What are bison head chutes made from; scavenged bits of battleship armor plate, perhaps?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    What are bison head chutes made from; scavenged bits of battleship armor plate, perhaps?
    That's silly...

The chute is made from tubular steel. The one I had (Powder River) was more sturdy than a lightweight beef device, mostly because the buffies would move quickly and crashing into the end to try to get out of the enclosed space was their way of dealing with the chute. Mine also had all the openings covered with 1/16"-ish plate so movement outside the chute would not be visible as that spooks them. I did have a crash cage on the head end, it was the easiest way to get them captured - close the cage, open the neck squeeze, open the side squeeze, open the tail gate, and then open the chute gate to let one in. Invariably, it would charge the cage which it could see through to the outside world and then we could close the neck squeeze and the tail gate.

The crash cage was 2" square tubing. The neck squeeze is tubular steel as well, don't recall for sure, but 1 1/4" round tube is my guess. The neck squeeze also had a rubber collar to protect the animal.

I did have a couple of old bulls that got in a fight and one was pushed backward - into the fence - pushed parallel to the fence, but a slight angle so that the pushed bull's rear end snapped off eight 4" wood fence posts just like they were match sticks.

Most of the time the buffies thought the fence was a good thing as it kept those pesky two legged things out of their field, but if they got in a fight, barriers weren't much use. In places where they were more tightly corralled, then fence posts were 6", spacing was closer, and if need be, I used guard rail instead of wire. When I took it down, I had about 38,000 pounds of guard rail to sell off...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    That's silly...

The chute is made from tubular steel. The one I had (Powder River) was more sturdy than a lightweight beef device, mostly because the buffies would move quickly and crashing into the end to try to get out of the enclosed space was their way of dealing with the chute. Mine also had all the openings covered with 1/16"-ish plate so movement outside the chute would not be visible as that spooks them. I did have a crash cage on the head end, it was the easiest way to get them captured - close the cage, open the neck squeeze, open the side squeeze, open the tail gate, and then open the chute gate to let one in. Invariably, it would charge the cage which it could see through to the outside world and then we could close the neck squeeze and the tail gate.

The crash cage was 2" square tubing. The neck squeeze is tubular steel as well, don't recall for sure, but 1 1/4" round tube is my guess. The neck squeeze also had a rubber collar to protect the animal.

I did have a couple of old bulls that got in a fight and one was pushed backward - into the fence - pushed parallel to the fence, but a slight angle so that the pushed bull's rear end snapped off eight 4" wood fence posts just like they were match sticks.

Most of the time the buffies thought the fence was a good thing as it kept those pesky two legged things out of their field, but if they got in a fight, barriers weren't much use. In places where they were more tightly corralled, then fence posts were 6", spacing was closer, and if need be, I used guard rail instead of wire. When I took it down, I had about 38,000 pounds of guard rail to sell off...
    The people around here that raise bison have a fence made of railroad ties and head chutes that might hold an angry bull. Kudos to you and anyone else who deals with that.
    Last edited by ductape; Feb 20, 2023 at 02:57 PM. Reason: not enough trips to the zoo

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    The people around here that raise bison have a fence made of railroad ties and head chutes that might hold an angry bull. Kudos to you and anyone else who deals with that.
    Well, there is an old saying - you can make them do anything they want to.

I learned a long time ago that if I could work that method, my life and their life was much, much easier. A simple example was when I needed to capture the herd in the corral, I would shut off all other water sources except the corral. Wait a day and they know where the only water is, so if they are outside the corral, close the corral gate and let them get thirsty. Wait some hours, and then open the gate and they will all walk in calmly and close the gate behind them. It worked every time.

When I had to cowboy it, that was hard on the buffies, hard on me, hard on the truck (my trusty steed to wrangle the herd), and I didn't get them where I wanted them much faster. My truck couldn't accelerate as fast, nor turn as fast. A horse wouldn't have been able to do any better. The buffies could do 0 to 25mph in three steps.

Tough facilities are there for when they get their space compressed and they aren't happy about it because they don't want to do what those stupid two legged things want. That is when you sometimes need your brown pants...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm OK with domestic and farm animals; up to a point. Plenty happy to armchair wrangle buffalo. Somewhere on the net, a pic circulates of Teddy Roosevelt riding one. No, thanks.

Missouri is where US Army sourced nearly all their mules; met descendants of the biggest family involved. The stories they share; a bit less intimidating; but hordes of those at a time. It was the source of "Stubborn as a Missouri mule", no question. They also disclose best horse they ever had, was the right mule.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information