Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tangent Angle Finder Tool for a Mill

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools

Tangent Angle Finder Tool for a Mill

This little tool for a mill will allow you to find points tangent to a curve for any small angle you'd like. This one is good to about 35 degrees, but if you take your time you may be able to produce one that's better. It's a very easy tool to make. I hope someone finds this useful.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

flyfr8rs (Oct 28, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks nova_robotics! We've added your Tangent Angle Finder to our Digital Readouts category,
    as well as to your builder page: nova_robotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Curious what DRO that is?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfr8rs View Post
    Curious what DRO that is?
    It's called TouchDRO and it's spectacular. It runs on Android and will do visualizations of your part in real time. It's almost halfway to CNC. I love it more than my family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

flyfr8rs (Oct 28, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanks, I looked it up and it looks very interesting - I've got a relatively new to me Lagun mill that I'm shopping for a DRO; most are too expensive for me. The TouchDRO looks really good and substantially less $$ (and open source!). I'd be curious what scales you chose for your install (glass or magnetic?). Source? Thanks for any help!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfr8rs View Post
    Thanks, I looked it up and it looks very interesting - I've got a relatively new to me Lagun mill that I'm shopping for a DRO; most are too expensive for me. The TouchDRO looks really good and substantially less $$ (and open source!). I'd be curious what scales you chose for your install (glass or magnetic?). Source? Thanks for any help!
    I used dirty old capacitive scales from iGaging, mostly because I already had those already installed from the previous cheapo DRO. They work good, but if I were doing it again from scratch I would probably go with glass. With the iGaging scales you have to open them up and solder in a little decoupling capacitor or else the readings jump around. They remain accurate and the scales don't lose tracking, but every once in a while the DRO will jump from 43.2mm to 30000mm for a split second, then jump back. Stuff like that. The filter cap helps that out.

The worst part was trying to find a decent Android touchscreen tablet. I tried a bunch of older tablets, Raspberry Pi stuff, and some other SBCs. They all sucked. I ended up using an "All-in-One" from FriendlyArm. It's not fast and they're low on RAM, but they're big and work good. I bought two. One for my lathe and one for my mill. Then I mounted them on articulating TV arm things.

Anyway TouchDRO is amazing and I highly recommend it. It's a huge upgrade for a manual mill.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

flyfr8rs (Oct 29, 2021)

Thread Information