Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tarp from bedsheets - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

Tarp from bedsheets - video

Tarp from bedsheets. By NightHawkInLight. 8:55 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Bullet500 (Sep 4, 2022), Canyonman44 (Sep 15, 2022), carloski (Sep 11, 2022), Corm (Sep 3, 2022), Dragonhand (Sep 2, 2022), gene55 (Sep 2, 2022), jkahn (Sep 3, 2022), kboy0076 (Sep 13, 2022), Moby Duck (Sep 4, 2022), nova_robotics (Sep 3, 2022), Wildwilly (Sep 3, 2022)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Although the names for petroleum products vary world wide, and they occasionally change specification, Naptha, Mineral Spirits, White Spirits, Coleman Fuel, Shellite, and a host of other proprietary names are generally the same thing, unleaded Petrol/Gasolene around 86 Octane.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Although the names for petroleum products vary world wide, and they occasionally change specification, Naptha, Mineral Spirits, White Spirits, Coleman Fuel, Shellite, and a host of other proprietary names are generally the same thing, unleaded Petrol/Gasolene around 86 Octane.
    Minor nit...

The petroleum derived solvent is spelled napHtha, not naptha.

The misspelling probably derives from the Fels-Naptha laundry soap which has been around for a long time.

I've used naphtha to remove glue residue from a large variety of plastics. To date it's never attacked any of those plastics.

I also used naphtha in my Zippo. I had read about the GIs using gasoline in theirs when naphtha was unavailable. I had to give it a try. I'll never do it again.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Minor nit...

The petroleum derived solvent is spelled napHtha, not naptha.
    I also used naphtha in my Zippo. I had read about the GIs using gasoline in theirs when naphtha was unavailable. I had to give it a try. I'll never do it again.
    The so called gasoline we had during the Vietnam era at least, was apathy called mogas, meaning motor gasoline to distinguish it from aviation gasoline or avgas. it was actually little more than what used to be called white gas, or Naphtha with an octane rating of betweet 78 and 81. just barely high enough to promote combustion in an engine of around 6 to 7 to one compression. to further distinguish it from avgas it was dyed green, and yes zippos were often dipped into the gas tanks to refill them when there was no lighter fuel handy. Higher grades of gasoline or what we called pump gas were leaded to prevent valve damage and engine knock in civilian cars or trucks. While the Military mogas was a leaded gasoline it had a lower content sort of like the low-lead gas that was around in the 1970's
    Most of the time when a zippo was dipped in a gas tank it was for one single purpose to light and fling at fuel dump or some other targeted item to be burned. There were guys who were members of a group called the zippo squad who might carry a whole box full of the Army issued zippo juniors to fling at targets.
    Filling your lighter with gasoline then putting it in your pocket was going to reward you with a nasty irritating red rash of a burn on your leg, much worse than just over filling one with regular lighter fluid

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information