Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thieves stealing car using relay attack - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,821 Times in 9,923 Posts

Thieves stealing car using relay attack - GIF

Thieves stealing a BMW X6 using relay attack. A relay attack bypasses keyless entry security by extending the signal of a key fob.

Previously:

Using one's head to increase key fob range - GIF
    Window rolldown tape trick - GIF
    Breaking car window with spark plug ceramic - GIF
    Car pedal anti-theft safety box - photo
    Car door lockout kit - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 24, 2024), tuchie (Mar 24, 2024)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    So then how far down the street could he go before he's out of range of the extender? Does the tablet capture then clone the key fob signature and rebroadcast it?

2000 Tool Plans
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Once they capture the Fob signature it's just like having a key fob for that vehicle.
    Anyone with a keyless start type vehicle should always store their key fob's in a faraday cage when at home. If you don't this is how easy it is to steal your vehicle.
    You can look up what a Faraday cage is here: Faraday cage - Wikipedia
    It's easy to build your own or you can purchase one for not allot.
    The automotive industry needs to come up with a fix for this.

Cheers
    Willy

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    Once they capture the Fob signature it's just like having a key fob for that vehicle.
    Anyone with a keyless start type vehicle should always store their key fob's in a faraday cage when at home. If you don't this is how easy it is to steal your vehicle.
    You can look up what a Faraday cage is here: Faraday cage - Wikipedia
    It's easy to build your own or you can purchase one for not allot.
    The automotive industry needs to come up with a fix for this.

Cheers
    Willy
    Especially if you own the kind of car they really want.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The best way to keep someone from stealing your vehicle is to have a normally closed solenoid valve installed at the tank that shuts off the fuel flow and vents the downstream line to air if the correct procedure is not followed, the solenoid can be controlled by a relay that requires another vehicle system to be switched on before starting use a system that normally would not be thought of. If you use a DPDT relay it can be made into a latching relay which will remain on after the vehicle is started until the ign. is switched off once again the secret system could be just about any electrical system and can be used only as momentary contact or left on.
    Works on all vehicles even older carbureted with or without fuel pumps in the fuel tank. Even if the vehicle starts and runs it will only do so momentarily. Works especially well for vehicles owned by persons who might be inebriated. Will now work on vehicles you want to prestart before getting in.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The best way to keep someone from stealing your vehicle is to have a normally closed solenoid valve installed at the tank that shuts off the fuel flow and vents the downstream line to air if the correct procedure is not followed, the solenoid can be controlled by a relay that requires another vehicle system to be switched on before starting use a system that normally would not be thought of. If you use a DPDT relay it can be made into a latching relay which will remain on after the vehicle is started until the ign. is switched off once again the secret system could be just about any electrical system and can be used only as momentary contact or left on.
    Works on all vehicles even older carbureted with or without fuel pumps in the fuel tank. Even if the vehicle starts and runs it will only do so momentarily. Works especially well for vehicles owned by persons who might be inebriated. Will now work on vehicles you want to prestart before getting in.
    A fuel shutoff with hidden switch is a good example of security through obscurity, which is pretty effective against the usual opportunists.
    I did something similar to the latching relay circuit you described to a golf cart, except in this case it controlled the ignition. They are notoriously easy to steal because each manufacturer generally uses the same key for all of their models. The owner had a few carts stolen because the keys are readily available. He never went anywhere without a can of soda, so I put a pair of contacts in the bottom of one of the cup holders. It sometimes needed a little twist to make contact, but wouldn't start unless there was a can of something in the holder to complete the circuit. It worked a lot better than expected.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    My 97 Town & Country had a system like that. It wasn't intentional, but it works. I had to hit the binnacle at just the right place and with the right energy before it would stay running. Otherwise it shut off as soon as it started. It's a known issue. Chrysler thought that it would be awesome to route the engine computer, transmission computer and body control module through the gauge cluster PSB. One of the traces on the the area where the computer signals route de-laminates and breaks. Banging the dash makes the broken traces reconnect. It's an easy fix, but required most of the dash be disassembled, and I'm too lazy for that. I wonder whether that trace could be interrupted with a hidden switch.

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    My 97 Town & Country had a system like that. It wasn't intentional, but it works. I had to hit the binnacle at just the right place and with the right energy before it would stay running. Otherwise it shut off as soon as it started. It's a known issue. Chrysler thought that it would be awesome to route the engine computer, transmission computer and body control module through the gauge cluster PSB. One of the traces on the the area where the computer signals route de-laminates and breaks. Banging the dash makes the broken traces reconnect. It's an easy fix, but required most of the dash be disassembled, and I'm too lazy for that. I wonder whether that trace could be interrupted with a hidden switch.

Neil
    A lot would depend on how much or how little current is carried on the trace. soldering a wire to it then running said wires to a switch will drastically alter the resistance the additional lengths of wire might have too much resistance for the amount of voltage and current traveling through the trace.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    A lot would depend on how much or how little current is carried on the trace. soldering a wire to it then running said wires to a switch will drastically alter the resistance the additional lengths of wire might have too much resistance for the amount of voltage and current traveling through the trace.
    That's what I figured since the traces on the CSB usually only carry low voltage. I have all the electronics skills of a pinecone, so I would never be attempting such a mod, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Neil

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 19, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I always thought switching coil power from the engine to coils under the driver's seat would be funny.

Thread Information