Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tig Rod Feeder

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools

Tig Rod Feeder

Here is an automatic tig rod feeder that I made several months ago.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Gadgeteer; Jan 31, 2019 at 05:46 PM.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

123pugsy (Feb 1, 2019), benkeller3 (Feb 21, 2021), DIYer (Feb 3, 2019), emu roo (Feb 16, 2022), Jon (Jan 31, 2019), metric_taper (Feb 1, 2019), nova_robotics (Feb 20, 2021), olderdan (Feb 3, 2019), Paul Jones (Feb 3, 2019), PJs (Feb 2, 2019), Sam's Workshop Diary (Feb 5, 2019), Scotty1 (Feb 1, 2019), sossol (Feb 4, 2019), Thimet (Feb 3, 2019), threesixesinarow (Feb 1, 2019), Tonyg (Feb 20, 2021), Wildwilly (Feb 20, 2021)

Thanks
    Fantastic. Good of you to help the guy out.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Nice "off the shelf" packaging.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A great idea and not just for those with limited motor control of their hands.
    Anyone who has sat for hours on end making long continuous tig welds will find a device such as this very handy as from the way I look at it it can relieve hand strain.
    My fingers begin to cramp after long periods of tig or oxyacetylene welding from constantly having to hold the rods and advancing them through my fingers.
    I can see a potential market for these with a few refinements and possibly making the feed head where it could be rotated or mounted on a gimble ball to allow the user to choose his comfort position.
    Again great job.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 2, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Gadgeteer! We've added your TIG Rod Feeder to our Welding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Gadgeteer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hi there. Excellent job you have come up with. very talented. I really need one as I am an amateur at tig welding. Pretty good tig welder just have a hard time feeding filler. Do you sell or have plans with a specification and parts to build? Cheers, nut427

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    [QUOTE=nut427;197992]Hi there. Excellent job you have come up with. very talented. I really need one as I am an amateur at tig welding. Pretty

I have redesigned the feeder into one that, easily, fits into the palm of a hand, but have not submitted it for a provisional patent, yet. What is the top amount that you would be willing pay for one? Just curious. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nut427 View Post
    Hi there. Excellent job you have come up with. very talented. I really need one as I am an amateur at tig welding. Pretty good tig welder just have a hard time feeding filler. Do you sell or have plans with a specification and parts to build? Cheers, nut427
    If you're just learning and have full mobility in your hands I'd really recommend just practicing and learning how to properly tig weld without a feeder like this. There are some manufacturers who make these without a motor, just a little wheel that advanced the tig rod forward. You will learn better consistency by hand feeding than using one of these feeders. That's if you're taking it seriously enough to get better and really learn puddle control.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malburrworks View Post
    If you're just learning and have full mobility in your hands I'd really recommend just practicing and learning how to properly tig weld without a feeder like this. There are some manufacturers who make these without a motor, just a little wheel that advanced the tig rod forward. You will learn better consistency by hand feeding than using one of these feeders. That's if you're taking it seriously enough to get better and really learn puddle control.
    This was made to help out a handicapped person.

If not handicapped, no kind of rod feeder is required whatsoever.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
    This was made to help out a handicapped person.

If not handicapped, no kind of rod feeder is required whatsoever.
    I've found that an automatic feeder makes learning easier. When one doesn't spend time learning how to feed he/she can spend all the time learning puddle control of various metals. When that is accomplished, then it's time to add hand feeding. AF is, also, handy for out-of-position situations.
    Last edited by Gadgeteer; Feb 17, 2022 at 05:12 AM.

Thread Information