Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tire bead breaker - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

Tire bead breaker - video

Tire bead breaker. By Dr Tool Hacker. 3:07 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Elizabeth Greene (Apr 12, 2022), highpointpat (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Interesting concept. It needs to be adjustable got different height tires. I wish he had demonstrated in on a bead that was truly STUCK, like many are.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Interesting concept. It needs to be adjustable got different height tires. I wish he had demonstrated in on a bead that was truly STUCK, like many are.
    That's only true if you have more than one vehicle to work on. In which case you drill another hole, or add an extension to give it more height. Which could wait until you need it. I have two vehicles, down from three yesterday, so I'd need the modification, most likely, but some folks make do with just one vehicle.

I traded in both of my older Hyundai cars yesterday, a 2010 Accent & 2017 Elantra, for a 2022 Accent. It's not as fancy as the Elantra was. I'm already missing the heated seats in the Elantra, for example, but it's a simpler version of the Elantra, and just as big, now. Since I need something easier for my wife to get in and out of now. I do think I'm going to need to get a couple of the lumbar supports with heater built in. SWMBO and I both have damage to the lumbar spine, hers is much worse than mine. But this way, I don't have to pay an additional six or seven thousand dollars to get it. Don't use the truck all that often anymore, and she can't get in to it at all, now, but sometimes you just need a pickup!

Bill

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    The old fashioned way.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Those are interesting ways to break a tire (tyre) bead.

HOWEVER I have to comment that it is NEVER FOR ANY REASON a good idea to stand (as shown in the video) or have any part of your body over a tire/wheel as you are seating the bead. It is a good way to seriously injure or even kill yourself. I have seen tires explode during seating, it is NOT a pretty sight. Fortunately the worst injury was a broken arm. YES, the people who blew them up were not doing it correctly, but I was too young at the time to question them. But the first time you see one explode ... you will want that one to be your last.

It could very well be your last if you are standing on the assembly when it explodes!!!!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Agreed, and seating is different from breaking. Likewise, split rims are always inflated in the cage.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    In the video at about 7:33, he shows standing in the wheel when seating the bead. But he does not say anything about the dangers of doing that. If someone is watching this video, thinking this is the way to do things, he is leaving out some very important information.

Jus sayin

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The most important thing to seating the bead, even if all safety measures are followed, is to center the tire as close as possible in the rim. Poorly centered tires can bed up lopsided and before the rest of the bead pops over the safety lip the section of bead already seated can continue to climb over the rim this is when the blow off the rim. Using a bead seating lubricant such as liquid soap wiped around the safety lip of the rim and the tire bead greatly reduces the amount of air pressure to seat the bead, Additionally by pouring a little dish washing liquid on a rag and wiping the tire bead cleans any remaining dirt off of them. I have mounted nearly every tire I have ever purchased, often even when the tire center offers free mounting, I'll ask for a discount since I plan on just taking them with me for mounting later
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Apr 17, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Well, I just looked at the vid. It is not the one I thought it was, which was quick and brutish! The one I intended was only about bead breaking, having nothing to do with bead seating. I do see the guy standing in the middle of the rim. What a fool!

What I had intended to show was the simple process of using a piece of sturdy angle iron, say 1/4" X 2" and a sledge hammer. The application is simple. Deflate the tire(!). Set one edge of a 2-3" long piece of angle iron at the intersection of the rim and bead with the convex side of the angle iron up and the other edge over the tire. Beat the angle iron being careful not to hit the rim, bead broken.

My apologies for inserting the wrong vid. Operator error. I'll do better next time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information