Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: tire chain brackets

Thanks
    Thanked 8,800 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools

tire chain brackets

Bob decided that he wanted to have a second battery box mounted on his truck so serve as a place for a bank of batteries to run his inverter and not have to run the on board auxiliary power generator so much when parked over the weekends and at night or when he is in the bunk sleeping, so in mounting the battery box I had to do away with the tire chain mount. Trucks are required to carry chains in wither months in many states even though Bob uses them more for mud chains than snow chains he carries his year round. Stowing muddy chains in a compartment is not a good option. Here is the new brackets I mounted to the battery box
    tire chain brackets-wp_20200110_11_41_29_richc.jpg
    to strengthen the sides of the box instead of just using large washers I elected to add a strip of blat bar and sandwich the box side between the bracket and the flat bar
    tire chain brackets-wp_20200110_11_41_35_richc.jpg

tire chain brackets-wp_20200110_11_41_38_richc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 14, 2020), clydeman (Jan 13, 2020), Jon (Jan 16, 2020), Seedtick (Jan 13, 2020)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    When I was flat bedding I had some chain racks much like those mounted on my headboard. It made it easier but it was still a job to hang or take down my chains because they were ex-military dual wheel chains. Made a bit of noise when I came to a stop because the chains would slap the headboard. I really only ever needed them one time when I went over Monarch Pass in January.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,800 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    When I was flat bedding I had some chain racks much like those mounted on my headboard. It made it easier but it was still a job to hang or take down my chains because they were ex-military dual wheel chains. Made a bit of noise when I came to a stop because the chains would slap the headboard. I really only ever needed them one time when I went over Monarch Pass in January.
    We have a couple sets of 3 railers that I sometimes throw on my freightliner they help a little in our sand around here once you get ruts dug in about 6 to 8 inches deep you can get traction enough as long as the power divider is locked in but I really need inter axle locks so all 4 are pulling. Have tried connecting them together as tracks over the tandems with medium success I guess I could add grouser bars to the cross links which would help but what I am really looking out for is a pair of very large tractor tires to cut the sidewalls out of and get a pair of flotation implement tires for the steering
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 1,655 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Tire Chain Brackets to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information