Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: tire hammer

Thanks

tire hammer

i am a hobbyist knifemaker and need plans to build a tire hammer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Geoff Keyes's Tools
    I pulled this "Price is $30US including postage to US and Canada, Send check or money order to Clay Spencer, 73 Penniston Pvt. Drive, Somerville, AL 35670. E-mail: clay@otelco.net clay@otelco.net for info or call my cell 256-558-3658. Or send Paypal for $30 to clay@tirehammer.com (clay@tirehammer.com is my Paypal address but does not work for e-mail.)" off the Salt Fork Craftsmen page Saltfork Craftsmen Tailgate online Market place

The tire drive is the critical part, it can be adapted to a number of designs. I prefer one that puts the tire and motor down near the floor. It makes for a more stable machine.

Do a search for
    Ray Clontz Tire Hammer Plans by Clay Spencer
    and you will get a bunch of hits, which include some good pictures, or message me direct and we can talk about design ideas.

Geoff

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    I looked at building a tire hammer but all the designs I found took up so much floor space that I went with an air hammer instead.
    Here is a short video of it in use making a Damascus / Pattern welded billet.
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Thanks

Geoff Keyes's Tools
    All of the tire hammer designs I have seen call for about a 2x3 or a 3x4 footprint. A Rusty style might be a bit more, but doesn't need nearly as much overhead height.

Your air hammer is cool but it needs a bunch more anvil and bolting it down would help a lot. That side to side hula is scary.

Geoff

Thanks

Tire Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by gerritjru View Post
    i am a hobbyist knifemaker and need plans to build a tire hammer.
    If you are in the Denver area , there is a gent of my acquaintance that has built one and it seems to work quite well. I could put you in touch. When you break it down to power and versatility, you might consider making a forging press . It has greater power , but does move a bit slower. I have both a 200 # self contained air hammer and a 50 ton forging press that I and a friend built . I love both , but if I had to choose just one, I would choose the press due to the versatility. Fortunately I don't have to choose. If you wish to come visit my shop , let me know via email @ doveknives@aol.com I am just northeast of Denver on I 76.

Trusting HIM,
    Steve ROllert
    doveknives.com
    keenedgeknives.com

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information