Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire Valve Stem Cap Tool

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Tire Valve Stem Cap Tool

Tire Valve Stem Cap Tool-valve_stem_caps.jpgI'm sure glad there is no lower limit on simplicity here at Homemadetools. The tool I built is dead simple yet I find that it is handy. Without this tool, I often fumble with the valve stem caps on my tires and they drop inside the hub cap. Then I have to remove the hub cap and sometimes the tabs break off. So what started as a simple task of checking tire pressure ended up requiring me to replace the hub cap.

The tool fits tightly over the cap and lets me unscrew, handle, and reinstall the cap without dropping it.

Start by finding a 1/2" long piece of soft tubing that is a snug fit over your valve stem cap. Then find a 3" long piece of stiff rod (wood, plastic, or metal) that is a tighter fit inside the tubing. Push the rod about 1/4" into the tube.

To use, push the tube over the installed cap while holding onto the rod. Then roll the rod to unscrew the cap. When done checking tire pressure, spin the cap back in place, pull out the tool, and finger tighten the cap if necessary.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

astroscuba (Nov 3, 2023), baja (Jan 24, 2020), bobs409 (Jan 24, 2020), byates (Jun 20, 2020), carloski (Jul 11, 2022), chainsawd (Feb 3, 2021), Corm (Jan 24, 2020), dgbreggin (Jul 24, 2022), DIYer (Jul 24, 2016), gunsgt1863 (May 6, 2018), Jon (Jul 25, 2016), Little Rabbit (Jan 23, 2020), olderdan (Dec 19, 2017), Paul Jones (Jul 30, 2016), PJs (Jul 25, 2016), rlm98253 (May 5, 2018), Sleykin (May 5, 2018), stubb (Jan 24, 2020), that_other_guy (Jul 12, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jul 30, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Rick Sparber! We've added your Valve Cap Tool to our Wheel and Tire category,
    as well as to your builder page: Rick Sparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    For those who think that their tool may be "too simple" to post, please don't let that stop you.

Everyone has lost a tire valve stem cap, whether it fell inside a hubcap, or rolled away from your first bicycle and was hard to spot against an asphalt driveway. Even a child can build this tool.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 24, 2020), dgbreggin (Jul 24, 2022), gunsgt1863 (May 6, 2018), Little Rabbit (Jan 23, 2020), Sleykin (May 5, 2018), that_other_guy (Jul 12, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jul 30, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    For those who think that their tool may be "too simple" to post, please don't let that stop you.

Everyone has lost a tire valve stem cap, whether it fell inside a hubcap, or rolled away from your first bicycle and was hard to spot against an asphalt driveway. Even a child can build this tool.
    Let me echo Jon's thoughts: even the simplest ideas can inspire others' ingenuity.

As an example, a simple variant of this tool is to use it as a nut starter. Substitute a nut for the stem cap and you have a way of starting a nut on a bolt buried deep inside a piece of machinery, electronics, whatever. Once started, the tool easily pulls free from the nut.

Another variant... Fitted with the right size tubing and a push rod, such a device can be used to insert BBs into a BB gun clip or small bearings into a ball screw.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 24, 2020), dgbreggin (Jul 24, 2022), Inflight (Nov 3, 2023), Paul Jones (Jul 30, 2016), rlm98253 (Nov 3, 2023), Sleykin (May 5, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 30, 2016)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Thanks to all for their encouragement!

Rick
    Rick

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    ...pushpin setter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 30, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valve_Stem_Caps.jpg 
Views:	1801 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	12515I'm sure glad there is no lower limit on simplicity here at Homemadetools. The tool I built is dead simple yet I find that it is handy. When done checking pressure, spin the cap back in place, pull out the tool, and finger tighten the cap if necessary.
    Huh? Where are the valve caps on your conventional bucket crawler? That'll dig some tater's, bushel at a time.
    JK and cheers to Rick.
    While dexterity is nice, weather and other detriments bring need for solutions. I agree with other posters...do not infer sophistication is a requirement here.

I guarantee sites exist where self-elected elites try to out- pace others. That's BS Scoff now, suffer later chump.
    That makes me boil, even with near constant 101/ 60 blood pressure. I gotta post an event, just yesterday, in our off-topic ''shop truths...'' area. Things I'm adamant toward, are probably conspicuous by now.

The point is to convey remedy; before a party requires it, who recalls the info utilizing a method to save the day. I'd challenge anyone contrary. We couldn't begin to estimate how many 'simples' created remarkable advancement.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 30, 2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: driving it home
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Great idea Rick, I have used this method for starting spark plugs in deep locations as you avoid a cross threading situation, never thought of doing it for valve caps (I will now).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Jul 12, 2022)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Great idea Rick, I have used this method for starting spark plugs in deep locations as you avoid a cross threading situation, never thought of doing it for valve caps (I will now).
    Glad you liked it. I do use it often. It is no fun trying to fish those caps out from behind my hub caps.
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Glad you liked it. I do use it often. It is no fun trying to fish those caps out from behind my hub caps.
    Or trying to remember where the special hubcap removal tool is knowing that if you do not retrieve the lost cap you will have that annoying rattle every time you slow down.
    Too simple to be a tool? Bulderdash! Just like Toolmaker 51 stated simplicity has lead to many advanced accomplishments.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information