Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tire Valve Stem Cap Tool

Thanks
    This reminds me of a tool for the same use, but different reason. The problem was not dropping the caps inside of hubcaps, but being able to reach them between the duals of my Dad's Semi truck. With the hose-on-a-stick tool, he could get them both from the outside instead of fighting to get his hands between the dual wheels (if he could position them in the right rotation to reach them). Thanks for the great memory!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Great idea Rick, I have used this method for starting spark plugs in deep locations as you avoid a cross threading situation, never thought of doing it for valve caps (I will now).
    For years I used a piece of appropriate sized vacuum tubing pushed over the terminal on spark plugs to put them into nearly inaccessible locations to start them and then just pull it off.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baja For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Jan 24, 2020), that_other_guy (Jul 12, 2022)

Thanks

baja's Tools
    And on the simple tool thread, coming back from town down the back road to my place I found a lazy susan type Kuereg coffee stand in a pile of stuff some a-hole dumped in the desert (along with Cereus peruvianus monstrose cactus chunks we brought home for my wife`s cactus garden) and I turned it into this. Took a lot of space consuming items off the magnet racks on my shop wall.Tire Valve Stem Cap Tool-20200117_165005.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to baja For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Jul 12, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by baja View Post
    And on the simple tool thread, coming back from town down the back road to my place I found a lazy susan type Kuereg coffee stand in a pile of stuff some a-hole dumped in the desert and I turned it into this. Took a lot of space consuming items off the magnet racks on my shop wall.
    I use one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Design...9879273&sr=8-1

for small tools at my indoor work table. It works well to minimize the space occupied by the tools without sacrificing accessibility. These are made to hold light weight brushes and pens so when filled with pliers and other metal tools they tend to lean a bit and drag on the surface where they rest. I solve this problem by balancing them with small plastic bottles filled with bird shot. It doesn't take much to get them back on an even keel.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 24, 2020)

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I use one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Design...9879273&sr=8-1

for small tools at my indoor work table. It works well to minimize the space occupied by the tools without sacrificing accessibility. These are made to hold light weight brushes and pens so when filled with pliers and other metal tools they tend to lean a bit and drag on the surface where they rest. I solve this problem by balancing them with small plastic bottles filled with bird shot. It doesn't take much to get them back on an even keel.
    The one I found seems to be pretty heavy duty, it doesn`t seem to matter much about weight distribution.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    If you have friends there are no problems with your tools cluttering up your place. Your friends will have borrowed and lost all of them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 24, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    If you have friends there are no problems with your tools cluttering up your place. Your friends will have borrowed and lost all of them.
    I have dogs that love to jump up on the work table and scatter tools or carry off a hammer because of its handle. Forget screw drivers one of my dogs thinks he is helping me by carrying them off a burying them in gopher holes
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    I`ve barred the irresponsible friends from borrowing mine but my wife doesn`t take no for an answer, lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I have a tool like that to use on spark plugs that are tucked way down where my hands can’t fit.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information