Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Enjoy your work? Would you [not could you] work for free?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • What do you do?

0 0%
  • Is there a future? Do you care?

0 0%
  • Does anyone ask you for help?

0 0%
  • Ever considered changing occupations?

0 0%
  • What means do you use to learn?

0 0%
  • Industrial Revolution, over or just different?

0 0%
  • Can you promote yourself by example?

0 0%
  • Why shows like 'How it's Made" show just the top layer or last steps?

0 0%
  • I want a list; Machinists and inventors in the movies.

0 0%
  • If; to ask any question to any engineer, inventor, etc.,

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Toolmaker51

Attachment 8620

After 40 years toolmaking, this is rather a anniversary present to myself, along with 170,000 pounds of assorted cast iron. Working for employers continues, while setting up a complete genuine toolroom.
    The anniversary; realization administrators are far better at keeping themselves employed than the very people who produce the salable products.
    When 5S projects remove rotary tables, reamer indexes, milling machines and lathes from the shop floor as a lean initiative; but they 'need' multiple monitors, inventory programs duplicating what Excel can do, and 450 dollar 'task' chairs, something is dreadfully wrong.
    As a mentor in FIRST Robotics, I implant the concept of "If we all worked for free..." who would actually be advancing society? Not in the communist sense, actual worth. It is recognized chimpanzees are remarkable for the ability to adapt natural materials as 'tools'. Who allowed Machinists be downgraded to such a miserable status? Why so few images or characterizations of machinists? Who forgot there isn't a toothpick box [& toothpicks], pair of eyeglasses, running shoes, printed material, table lamp, firearm, farm tractor or GPS reflecting scores of Machine workers are keystone in the fact it exists?
    I've preserved an article from a 1980's Machinetool Bluebook, where an industrial engineer predicts results of unrestricted offshore production. Every one of them occurred. Furthermore, they are repeated and exposed continually. Substitution of specified materials. Copyright, trademark, distinct feature, and patent infringements.
    Non-exisitant warranty service, or oceans away precluding reasonable ship and return costs. Sure, the mass market import tool retailer has a generous return program; but how does that compare to my heavily used B&D concrete hammer, easily 50 years old? Non-serviceable assemblies or unavailable service parts. Poor designs-workmanship-final products, are just tip of the iceberg.
    You can find knockoffs for well established trademarks, automotive, commercial aircraft, consumer and industrial electrical goods [not to mention electronics]. Medical implants, even marine hardware. Lead paint in children's toys. Ethylene in dog food. Supposedly natural fabrics with measurable synthetic content. Counterfeit fasteners Grade 5 and higher. Working mechanical inspection for a large corporation, we verified lift and rigging gear headstamps 100%, under a microscope at minimum 3x.
    So, why do we build our own? It's more than pride in workmanship, or "because I can", or they don't make it anymore, or you just want it. They all boil down to integrity, alloying the best qualities of what you can envision, into a useful object. Whether a nondescript block of material or re-utilizing a dissimilar item, posted on a website or not, celebrates eons of creativity that you have personally made an addition to.
    Mentoring FIRST Robotics, I implant the concept "If we all worked for free..." who would actually be advancing society? Not in the communist sense, actual worth. When admin walks by, think to yourself "Have fun in your cubicle, I'll be ...single point threading, welding, turning this 4000 lb casting in a vertical lathe, setting hot rivets, soldering under a microscope etc..
    Finally, read, research and ask for assistance. That is the only way this will be preserved. It is not likely going to be reinstated but don't let it die. Find a set of mentors too. I know an 'product engineer', buys metal stampings, yet can't look at a flatwasher and tell which side was down on the die! WTF Engineer, you're nothing but an impostor. Real Engineers? Look to those like portrayed in Apollo 13, saving the astronauts by radio!
    Mine? J. M. Browning, Frank Pachmayr, Mr's. Kearney & Trecker, CB DeVlieg, Elias Howe, CP Steinmetz; sure there are many others. Who are they? Research cue.
    They've all passed on, that matters not.
    I'd like my job here will be most as a consultant. I may eventually post my work, but interested in seeing you generate ideas or questions, instead of being fed.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi Toolmaker51 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

One of the great things about making your own tools is that there is no such thing as an imported homemade tool!

What's next up on your build list? Do you see any ideas here that you particularly like?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Toolmaker51,

Welcome!

I know you'll find a great deal of agreement with your philosophy and frustrations around here; as a self-selecting community of serial builders and interested parties, I think we all share them.

What are you working on at the moment?

Ken

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    hey toolmaker make me a tool I need a .22 barrel rifler was thinking of using a 5/16 sprial end mill pulled in the barrel to cut the rifiling got any ideas may be you know of a tool or made somthing like this I think its called a broch or button ?? would love to know how to build one check out my blog or page

Lost in the tool room

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I responded but it wound up in that about extending a drill bit. However the spiral/ helix of an endmill averages 30 degrees. Even the quickest rifling twist I know, 1 in 7" is about 6.3 degrees in one revolution. Jacketed bullets vaporize at velocity out of proportion to twist rate, and stability for any projectile is based on weight/ ballistic coefficient/ and material. I think if you search 'hook tool' or 'centuries' will locate what I posted. A endmill shank might be good material for a rifling cutter. The final grind and polish has to be lengthwise of the tool. The inclination to polish while spinning makes toolmarks that gall or scrape instead of cutting and ironing the metal into smoothness. The pattern of scratches no matter how fine are called 'lay' need to be lengthwise. If I had to start somewhere it would be poly or hexagonal shaped, like Marlin Micro-Groove but many less grooves and lands. Here is "hook rifling cutter" googled
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hook...utf-8&oe=utf-8.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information