Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Toolpost Morse Taper Shank Tool Holders

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I know what you mean about a decent PC There was no way to include either of my PC's in luggage when we returned from overseas so I have been relegated to my laptop for the past 4 years as the cost for me to assemble what I would call a decent PC seams a frivolous expense in today's money it would be around $3,500.00 just for the components to build just 1 of what I had. then there would be the cost of the soft ware.
    my laptop was considered moderatly high end when I bought it in 2011 . Win7 Intel(R) x64 based PC COre(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz. 2001MHZ. 4 Core(s), 8 logical 16GB RAM 1 TB HD 1GB Nvida graphics
    It is still a pretty decent machine even by today's standard but not even 1/4 of what my desk tops were for one thing it doesn't have high enough resolution to really power a good 26 or 32 inch monitor let alone 3 of them but at least it doesn't crash

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Thanks to Frank S and C-Bag, who responded offline. Until I purchase a decent PC, I've no access to a CAD program. I use MS Paint. It's easy to use, just takes a procedure, as it doesn't 'know' dimensions or scale per se. It does relay an equivalent to X Y coordinates that helps size or represent 'mating parts'. It also copy/ pastes nicely. For example the R8 print is direct from the web, just googled dimensions of R8 collet. I knew the included angle, used that to assure a more correct drawing was found. 100% or 1:1 is possible too (even larger to a limited degree), all depending on part and monitor size.
    For anyone interested, I'd prepare a drawing sequence with limited notes. I fully believe picture is worth a thousand words adage. The volume of text increases when your talking pixels, lol.
    MS Paint!!! Wow do I feel like a slacker! I have CorelDraw(which I'm ok with, but not as a cad program) and got a deal on CorelCAD but I need to take a class as its like AutoCAD which I'm totally stupid of. Right now I have a piece of unknown cold roll steel that's 1 1/2" square. That would leave 1/8" wall at the narrowest edge on the front of the holder. Would that be too thin? It does taper pretty quickly to 1/4" wall, but I'm no engineer. It also would not leave enough to make the relief cut for the compound mount obviously. I have a huge chunk of 6061 aluminum, would that do?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    abbreviated for my agenda
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I know what you mean about a decent PC...a pretty decent machine even by today's standard but not even 1/4 of what my desk tops were for one thing it doesn't have high enough resolution to really power a good 26 or 32 inch monitor let alone 3 of them but at least it doesn't crash
    Toolpost Morse Taper Shank Tool Holders-2nd-3rd.jpg
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 5, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    love those Dilbart cartoons

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information