Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Track loaders handling red hot slag - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,104 Times in 9,991 Posts

Track loaders handling red hot slag - GIF

Track loaders handling red hot slag.

Previously:

Slag pot carrier - photo
    Steel mill slag rake - photo
    Hot slag tire protection chains - video
    Train dumping slag - GIF
    Slag removal clamshell bucket - GIF

2,000+ Tool Plans

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Dec 13, 2022), mr mikey (Dec 14, 2022), Rangi (Dec 14, 2022), Sleykin (Dec 17, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,244 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I would hate to have to work on one of those loaders after it spent time in the slag pit. It is bad enough trying to chip cement dust deposits off one that works at a cement manufacturing plant, everything you do one requires the use of a small jack hammer just to get to the bolts

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Those machines must be driven into the furnace on a regular basis because as Frank S would know, "I'm not working on that!"...

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Those look like a maintenance nightmare, not to mention the safety concerns.
    If a track breaks, or engine quits when it's in there with a fresh hot load of slag, I sure hope the operator has the safety equipment to get out of the machine and get to a safe area.
    The undercarriage has got to take a beating in a short amount of time, I wonder how long the life is of the rollers/bearing and the tracks????

Thanks
    Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,244 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    unless this is not normal routine for these machines, I'd say 3 months tops from being new to needing a major amount of work done to them.
    Hydraulic hoses can be semi protected by wrapping them with heat shielding fabrics additionally covering the most exposed areas of them with a cladding might help them to last a full 3 months the bearing in the rollers of the track groups will have lost any lubricant by the end of the first week if not sooner. but the bearings pins and rollers would continue to do their job until they completely self-destruct, they have been known to last for several months being ran dry in harsh dusty conditions buit the constant heat on them will soften them, take all of the temper out of them is a short amount of time they would wear out in only a few weeks not several months under those conditions. the track pads will coat over but the pins in track rails will suffer like the bearings and rollers but would possibly last 4 to 6 months anyway. the drive sprockets will go about the same as the pins in the rails the big problem is going to be the seals in the track adjuster and the final drives. The radiator and the after cooler are going to be a huge problem especially on newer equipment since a lot of aluminum and sometimes even plastic are used but those cold be critical use specked at time of purchase. There is quite a bit of harsh environment specialty components available for cold hot dusty wet and chemical use I just don't know about how well things would fair in a molten metal environment. I'm sure a lot has changed in the 30 years since I worked as a contractor at a Caterpillar rebuild shop.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    What are the operators breathing?

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    The boss says he needs a service on this equipment now. not me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 831 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    AH, its not that big of a deal, there is the little puddle they drive into to cool the tracks running gear between trips into the "gates of hell"!!

As for breathing, just take a deep breath and hope you don't get stuck in there!!!

I sure would not want anything to do with that job. But I guess someone has to do it.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information