Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tractor PTO safety demonstration and accident - video and GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

Tractor PTO safety demonstration and accident - video and GIF

Tractor PTO safety demonstration and accident. First, a 1:07 safety demonstration video:

And then, I'm not even sure what we have here, but it's a good demonstration of how these types of accidents happen in real life. No gore. Click to play.

Previously:

Worker accidentally pulled into lathe
    Lathe whipping accident - video and image
    Lathe safety/stupidity accident video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 12, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (May 9, 2019), MeJasonT (May 10, 2019), Seedtick (May 9, 2019), stubb (May 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I wouldn't ever want to grab hold of it but my brush hog shredder has a plastic sleeve over the PTO shaft that is secured to keep it from spinning it also covers the u joints but I'm not going near it while the shredder is turning. The same shaft & sleeve fits other attachments but no one is going near it while spinning.
    I just noticed the safety sleeve is on the PTO shaft in the first video but it is not properly extended or secured it is were then the u joint would be covered by the large bell.

The poor guy in the second video probably didn't survive judging by the way his head was digging a hole in the ground as he was flung around.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; May 9, 2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (May 10, 2019), NortonDommi (Jun 11, 2021)

Thanks
    I do not need go beyond the OP, looking at the prop, common sense tells me the ending.

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Yep, like most dangers in life treat it like fire - only stupid people use their hands as a thermometer.
    For the apparent demonstration, The presenter looks like an overweight clumsy muppet to start with (probably a failed worker who ended up doing health and safety). There are no PTO guards fitted - Its law in the UK to have them fitted although its not heavily enforced until the **** hits the fan. Pun intended.
    Even then i wouldn't trust my life on the lavatory pull chain they use to secure guards.

Tractor PTO safety demonstration and accident - video and GIF-6583_pic1.jpg

Tractor PTO safety demonstration and accident - video and GIF-10607_pic1.jpg

Most farmers i know will only have all the guards fitted when the machine is delivered new. We had a purge on our family farm after a impromptu visit from the safety inspectorate and all the PTO shafts were donned with retrofit guards, cant honestly say they fitted anything like the standard of the original guards where they would have been clinched on to some sort of nylon bearing. The problem is if you buy second hand machinery the PTO shaft has usually been kept by the previous owner as a spare and as they have a standard 740 or 1800 rpm spline you usually find shafts get swapped between machines. If safety was a major concern on farms as it is in industry then farmers should be inspected more regularly, equipment re-sellers should be forced to impose safety regulations. I use the example that if you buy an electrical item from a thrift/charity store or from an auction room then if it has a plug fitted it HAS to be Portable appliance tested (PAT tested). God forbid you buy something of ebay, it might as well be a Russian revolver with a hair trigger - just point it at your head. The mantra is who is responsible for safety - we all are for ourselves and others. And yet the number of selfish narcissistic people is increasing rapidly. Bosses will still ignore the little man when he points out something unsafe and will be put down or ignored and the blase narcissistic muppet will have the bosses ear. Unfortunately the death dodgers always get away with it (oh i spend the weekend doing extreme sports hurling myself off a mountain - Good for you). Schools and university's seriously need common sense tests and it should be a pass or fail part of the curriculum.
    Having said that, health and safety has gone mad, you cant control safe working practices whilst keeping idiots alive. Natural wastage should be taken into consideration, the more stupid die from their stupidity the less stupid people around. You can teach people to work safely but they will achieve it at their own level of understanding, it wont make them non stupid. Don't shake nitro for example, "i didn't shake it i just rocked it from side to side to see what it looked like". technically the training worked it wasn't shaken. If we use signs everywhere for don't do something for fear of death the planet really would have a crisis when its covered in signs. see i even do green issues.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; May 10, 2019 at 02:38 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jun 11, 2021)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Frank,
    Jon said no gore, he lived happily ever after, please say he did or i will get nightmares and need therapy.

Het

(Russians are rolling around laughing right now)
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Frank,
    Jon said no gore, he lived happily ever after, please say he did or i will get nightmares and need therapy.

Het

Ok just for you, the dog fight was choreographed they were really best friends. a stunt test dummy was substituted at the very last second with impact sensors. After the test it was found the test dummy suffered no life threatening injuries thus making it feasible to use the spinning shaft as a new extreme sport for the thrill seekers.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    From the farmaccident YT channel. This looks to be some sort of Irish farming safety organization. He said the "tail piece that was left on the overalls" wrapped around the PTO shaft. 0:48 video:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jun 11, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks

Talking Muslime trap

Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Frank,

Het

New military mission, to install tractors with running PTOs in all muslime countries - ISIS and Taliban eradicated.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A lovely PTO injury warning label.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...l_fullsize.jpg

Thread Information