Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tractor tire Bead breaker

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Tractor tire Bead breaker

OH NO! not another bead breaker. There are probably no less than 25 bead breakers published Here on Homemade tools.net, but I didn't have one.
    Which is hard to believe as many of my own tractor and semi tires I've replaced or repaired in the past several years. Until now I mostly just used the backhoe, but sometimes it is just not convenient to use. I had a flat on my case tractor and decided it was past time to replace the old dry rotted rear tires with new ones. Time to make a bead breaker. SO IO cut a length of 2 1/2" sq. tubing and a piece of 2" sq tubing both having 1/4" wall thickness, this meant I was either going to have to grind a deep grove in 1 side of the 2" tube or remove the weld seam from the inside of the larger tube. I chucked it in my 4 jaw then with a 12" long boring bar I removed the weld
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_130903bb.jpg
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_141611bb.jpg

Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_144512bb.jpg
    Then sanded the paint off of the 2" tubing to get it to fit inside
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_150257bb.jpg
    Since it looked like I was going to spend way too much time on something I could probably buy for under 100 dollars I torched the holes in the cap plates that the forcing bolt was going to pass through, and the weld the nut on the ram foot
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_160941bb.jpg
    The pipe sleeve is just to protect the threads while welding
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_163130bb.jpg
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_163555bb.jpg
    I used my hose crimper to squeeze a nut onto the forcing bolt for it to be able to force the ram out against the tire
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_170512hc.jpg
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220416_170650bb.jpg
    I wasn't going to spend anymore time one it until I was sure it was going to work
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220417_163516bb.jpg
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220417_164741bb.jpg
    It works just fine awkward with the c clamp so now that I know it works I will refine it with a pressure screw to secure it to the rim

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 21, 2022), Jon (Apr 21, 2022), lonestarr007 (Apr 19, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 18, 2022), NortonDommi (Apr 19, 2022), sossol (Apr 18, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Tractor Tire Bead Breaker to our Heavy Equipment category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    After proving the bead breaker worked, even using a c clamp to grip the rim I went ahead and added the clamping bolt and straps then pulled the wheels off the tractor to complete the tire changes
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220418_150638bb.jpg
    Tractor tire Bead breaker-img_20220418_150739bb.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 19, 2022), sossol (Apr 18, 2022)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    That method of removing the weld is worthy of an entry all by itself. It's brilliant.

Neil

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 18, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    That method of removing the weld is worthy of an entry all by itself. It's brilliant.

Neil
    You liked that did you? It's not the first time in my life time I've used that method of removing the welds from the inside of square and sometimes rectangular tubing it sure beats doing it by hand

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    You liked that did you? It's not the first time in my life time I've used that method of removing the welds from the inside of square and sometimes rectangular tubing it sure beats doing it by hand
    Indeed I did. I've seen a lot of methods, and most either require special tools or the willingness to perform a lot of manual labor, neither of which I have. Your method is simple and efficient.

Neil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 18, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I second the weld removal trick. I've been meaning to make a proper tool for years just never got around to it.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Frank You had a very good idea on cutting the weld flash from the inside of the tube....I will kept that in my memory bank.....I have viewed other flash removal but your is the best on short stock...Thanks

Bob

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarr007 View Post
    Frank You had a very good idea on cutting the weld flash from the inside of the tube....I will kept that in my memory bank.....I have viewed other flash removal but your is the best on short stock...Thanks

Bob
    In the past when I had a lathe with a 15ft bed I removed the flash on a 10 ft long stick of 3" 3/8" wall sq tube, but I also had a 12 ft 2" diameter bar that I used for line boring. I removed the compound and made holder for the bar to mount directly to the top slide on center of the spindle bore I milled and bored a 2inch thick piece of Delrin to fit the boring bar and the ID of the sq tube to serve as a guide behind the cutter, tack welded ring for the steady rest to hold the tube centered about 3 feet from the end to the sq tube, I clamped the bar in the holder and bored a couple feet then repositioned the bar again and again until I had bored the full length.
    So, it doesn't have to be short pieces of stock if you have a way to do longer pieces.
    You don't even need a lathe if you can spin the boring bar as in line boring all you really need is a means of holding everything true to center line and not even that if you choose to make off set guides for the boring bar then you merely have to position the bar so as to cut the side you want keeping it parallel in the x & z planes I suppose if you were really brave and had the room you could make up the boring bar in shorter sections just add them like drill stem going down a well the guides near the cutter would be doing all of the work

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information