Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trailer ball mount upgrade

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    "I'm from the gummit and I is here to hep ya"!!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There are times and places where punched holes are perfectly acceptable, just as there are times when they should never be used as part of a manufacturing process.
    Punching introduces stresses in the base metal radiating out from the punched hole which becomes compounded the thicker the material is. When a punch and die are either worn or of mismatched diameters the stresses introduced are even worse. Having a stripper that clamps down onto the base metal rather than just being in a fixed position above it helps to control these stresses in part which also reduces rolling deformation.
    Times when a punched hole should not be considered is when the material if thicker than the diameter of the hole to be punched. the exception to this rule is when the material is heated to reduce the tonnage required to punch the hole. There is also a formula relating to the minimum distance from the edge of the material that a punched hole should be placed the square of the cross section of the slug should never be greater than the than the square of the remaining base material. That is the simplistic explanation as a rule of thumb not the actual formula. In this case the material is 3/4x 3/4 from the edge of the hole to the edge ot the material the hole is 3/4x1" for drilled holes the formula is slightly different but not much

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 13, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Apr 13, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re post *12: Location of features and proximity to edges, per Frank S.
    I've mentioned many times an article I treasure, written just prior to initiating wholesale foreign importations. Several pages, by true experts within industry, dozens upon dozens of what they knew would occur. It included precisely the conditions we've discussed, quality control, poor practices, shortcuts in good design, even difficulties contacting actual manufacturers.

They weren't guessing, they knew human nature.

They couldn't have guessed how many layers of re-selling there would be; separating end user from responsible party. Who doesn't believe that's intentional?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 13, 2022)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    So many years ago when I worked on the ICG Railroad as a rail detector car operator. They then practiced punching holes in the rail for the bolts to secure the rail coupling plates. It was discovered the process created stress fractures which were exacerbated by the pounding of the heavy engines and cars. This caused more failures at the bolted couplings.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 13, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Apr 13, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    "I'm from the gummit and I is here to hep ya"!!!
    Never truer words with one known exception that would require a few beers for the telling.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I tend to be the same way about plasma or oxy fuel cut holes. When I tell a burner I want the holes burned 1/8" smaller in diameter than the finished hole needs to be. Their first response is but we can burn to within a few thousands in that thickness.
    Cylindrical or conical I ask, and usually get the blank stare as if they have no idea what I'm talking about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 13, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I went to our local True Value yesterday and found the source of the drop receiver. It is a Master Mechanics brand. I own several MM branded tools such as combination wrenches sockets and such and have no qualms about their quality or durability. I looked over the other receiver inserts and noticed that out of the 20 or so on display only one other had a seriously tapered punched hole the rest not so much. Some of them were drilled holes not punched, there were also different prices for what looked to be nearly the same adapters, as well as different load ratings. What this tells me is knowing my bean counting partner like I do he purchased on price not realizing some possible quality differences. I usually purchase on appearances of quality not paying too much attention to the price if within reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re Frank S, post *17.
    Since I'm both Incoming Quality Inspector and Bean Counter, my conclusions are nearly identical. The real issue isn't just Master Mechanic alone.

Just about any mass produced items sold under private labels fall into sketchy territory. HF, is the most visible; any items on display hook could have identical appearance, AND different part numbers. That signifies what amounts to 'similar items from different manufacturers under same general description'. Most noticeable on sale items; where price applies to specific item numbers (more accurately production codes) only. Undoubtedly tied to a particular contract; material cost, labor, quantity, shipping, maybe infinite variables.
    It will continue, probably worsening until sellers put screws to those suppliers, or are more selective awarding contracts. There are too many consumers that cannot tell difference between, say, a drilled or a punched hole, so it's not likely to occur.

I don't see it a issue purely with capitalism; it's really the fault of consumerism in bed with marketing, while non-participants get the rogering.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 14, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    "It will continue, probably worsening until sellers put screws to those suppliers, or are more selective awarding contracts. "
    I think this is part of the problem. I have seen many examples where an importer brings in a product and as it is good value it sells well, they then switch providers for a cheaper lower quality but keep or slightly raise the price. Only losers are the 1st manufacturer and the end user.
    Where I live this happens a lot as most machines are imported and no matter where from manufacturer builds to a price point. The Chinese lathe I bought is a good example. When 1st introduced they were pretty darn good quality, by the time I bought one the importer had switched supplier for a lower priced but very similar lathe. Only a few small differences cosmetically which were sold to me as the 'new model'.
    Still happy with it but annoyed to know that it is no-where near as well built as what I thought I was buying.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 17, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I looked through a selection of other brand receivers Saturday the Reese Brand laid side by side to the Master Mechanic were identical right down to the amount of taper in the punched holes the ones that had a 3/4" punched hole had a distinctive lip inside the hole a 3/4 shank ball fit nicely at the top but the bottom had nearly 1/8" clearance all the way around. Only the 10,000 lb rated ones had 1 1/4" drilled holes through 1" thick plate welded to 2 1/2" sq tubing

Thread Information