Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trailer Bumper becomes so much more

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Like my bud and I always say if you are so close that we cannot see you in the mirrors then you do not exist period. A driver in 40 ton rig could tap on his brakes to avoid something like a large animal crossing the road and never feel a tap in the rear of their rig but the car striking a slowing rig could be totaled .If it was to hit hard enough to break a plastic headlight this would mean the plastic grill and Styrofoam filled plastic bumper would have been crushed setting off numerous air bags ruining the guys day possibly killing his front seat passenger from the explosive airbag discharge, meanwhile unless the trucker happened to glance in his mirror he would have known nothing about what had happened all while being an unwitting star of the next deadly trucks movie.
    I've even had a city police once hit the rear of my pickup mostly because he was not paying attention to my having to stop suddenly since a kids ball had rolled across in front of me and I saw a youngster who looked as though he was going to continue darting out after the ball from the front of a parked car. You're not going to damage the back of my vehicles with anything less than a bull dozer. That's just how I roll
    Sadly it really seems like drivers are getting worse these days!

In any event a very nice bumper build. I doubt it will stop anybody from running into you but I like fine craftsmanship and people that try to do the right thing.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Tailgaters suck. Mind you this is just a pickup truck but I had one guy following me one night and It thought he turned off as his headlights where gone. Come to find out he was right on my bumper. Considering it was that time of the year when dear are running a rather stupid move on his part. I feel lucky that I've avoid a few close calls from stupid drivers (lately with cell phones stuck to their ears) over the years.
    Unfortunately, once I was guilty of no lights and following a car in Easter break of 1971. It was in the middle of nowhere & my car's regulator went kaput and with all the outback murders around that time I followed a couple of vehicles (one turned off probably because of my "no lights") till i got to the next big town where I could find a phone booth. Couldn't do that these days as everything is electric & not even a mechanical fuel pump.

Reminds me of my almost hitting a bike cop in mid 70's who rode without lights on my flank in the blind spot. I went to change lanes & when turning to look over my shoulder I caught a glimpse of him. Silly bugger was probably following one of the cars in front. these days cars beep (mine is too old) if anything comes close like that.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    Unfortunately,
    Reminds me of my almost hitting a bike cop in mid 70's who rode without lights on my flank in the blind spot. I went to change lanes & when turning to look over my shoulder I caught a glimpse of him. Silly bugger was probably following one of the cars in front. these days cars beep (mine is too old) if anything comes close like that.
    Once while on vacation the wife and I were driving from Sydney to Melbourne I was about as far left in my lane as possible without driving on the narrow strip next to the guard railing when I noticed this brown actually sharing the same lane with me just behind my window. We drove along like this for must have been a kilometer or more I had no idea what his problem was then suddenly he shot past nearly clipping my side mirror after a while I noticed he had someone pulled over. I figured he had been trying to use my vehicle as a shield against either a cross wind or to hide from a right lane driver waiting to see if they were overtaking someone or driving out in the rt lane.
    I don't trust badges in any country to have expert driving skills especially those riding motors or driving in SUV's or sedans and plain wrapped high performance cars but at the same time I try not to need to test their driving skills when ever possible. To me most are just trying to do their jobs but I have no use for the ones who are nothing but revenue traps.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information