Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trailer sway crash - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Last year we rented a 5000lb roller and the trailer to haul it. When the guy loaded it on the trailer for us he drove it right up to a predetermined mark on the trailer. My friend complained all the way back to my shop about the tongue weight on his brand new F250. So when he returned the unit he had me leave it back about a foot from where the guy had put it when we rented it. The machine was still centered ahead of the centerline of the axles but not by much. I told him to call me when he had problems and I'd try to explain how to drive it so he can reposition it on the trailer. He looked at me like I had grown a 3rd eye. About half an hour later he calls up and askes how do I start this thing? I can't get over 40 MPH. I about fell over laughing.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

WorkerB (Jun 4, 2022)

Thanks
    Trailer sway bars help prevent swaying on the high way, and they can even save the vehicle from crash or rollover. Sway bars may make it hard to turn, but safety first, and it worth it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Proper tongue weight and weight distribution in the trailer can all but eliminate this...I love how the semi/video truck moved right and slowed down just enough to be a safe distance then moved back to the left to keep the grand finale centered in frame of view.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    Proper tongue weight and weight distribution in the trailer can all but eliminate this....
    Which is why anyone whole pulls a trailer should take the responsibility upon themselves to familiarize proper load distribution and securement procedures.
    Also another argument for installing stabilizer control bars and shock absorbers on trailers, which is almost never done on bumper pull trailers and rarely ever seen on gooseneck ball or fifthwheel camper trailers, but incorporated in one form or another in the suspensions of every Semi trailer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information