Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Translating a Non-secure Web Address to a Secure one

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Translating a Non-secure Web Address to a Secure one

This article was written for an extremely small number of people. If you have a web site hosted by GoDaddy and want to change from unsecured to secured plus change your web site's name via the .htaccess file, you might wish to read further.

I cannot be held responsible for your sheer boredom if you choose to read on.

https://rick.sparber.org/redirect%20explained.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks Rick, now that my head is about to implode I've decided that ultimately my decision not to retain my many years gone by domain was probably a good thing LOL. Not being a Navajo code talker I had a lot of difficulty in remembering the strings long enough to write or especially rewrite them into a proper syntax
    I'll just have to leave having a web page to you guys with more patience than I have.
    I often trash around on your site and several others for rehashing old ideas or in search of new ones and I thank you and others for taking the time and trouble to maintain them

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 26, 2018)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Frank S,

At the start of this odyssey, it seemed like a no-brainer. But I quickly got into it neck deep with few prospects for help. I don't blame you one bit for leaving your site alone.

One thing that did not cause me trouble was related to the server's operating system. When I started, Windows-based servers were standard. Today they are legacy and expensive. Moving to Linux dropped my cost a lot. That move was completely transparent to me. Your Milage May Vary.

Rick
    Rick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 26, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Yeah Rick I can understand the getting neck deep in something with few prospects for assistance.
    When I got my first PC it was a gateway 600 in 2000 not overly powerful but substantial enough to run a new at the time cad program that a friend installed for me so he could have it at my shop and for me to have something besides just an empty box good for little more than writing the random documents or reading emails on,
    the PC came with windows 98 I had only had it a few months before my friend insisted to upgrade to win 2000 because his new cad program Solidworks 2000 would run better on it this lead to changing out the video card the ram and other things Then he decided to over clock it a bit and on an on. Pretty soon or about a year I decided it was time to get a 2nd PC for my home so instead of buying 1 ready to plug and play I bought each component separately with the largest power supply already mounted in a cabinet that I could find. For the OS I was talked into going with linux I don't remember the version I sorta liked it but it was clunky for my low level of experience plus the 1 program I used the most well almost the only program I used solidworks didn't play well with Linux at the time. something to do with the need of windows excel SO I wound up with a duel OS even more disparaging to someone with limited knowledge SO I wound up assembling yet a 3rd PC about a year later by them much of my needs had changed so the wife wound up with the gateway to play games on NOT much of a gaming machine the Linux wound up being the front door to the internet while hers and my other PC were kept behind its firewall this worked out quite well it seemed like Mac nobody tried to infect them with their garbage they were producing and publishing on the net. then We went to Kuwait ,only room to carry 2 machines the gateway got left behind the Linux reformatted to win 2000 only by then the first version of X puke came out another upgrade if you could call it that because Auto cad Solid works Pro E and several others imeadiatly jumped to it. by now everybody was bloating their programs at an ever increasing rate a 2 year old PC would be 3 generations out of date.
    things lead on and on and on. until about a year before we returned from there I scored a at the time a very high end laptop I called it my double 7 16 64 1 TB. an I7 core 4 processor 8 logical Win.7 OS 16 gig ram 64 bit and 1 TB drive it is now 6 year old and still does what I need since I no longer require my cad programs to be ud graded every year.
    I allowed my domains to expire a long time ago but had pulled about everything off of them prior to termination I never did maintain them very well anyway just too much time involved for the little benefit of having them. since for the most part I kept them pretty much private anyway.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Frank S,

You have done a good job of illustrating a long-held belief: computers are like produce. They rot very quickly. This is doubly true for smartphones.

Yet, I would not want to live without them...

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information