Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Transporting pipe section on existing pipeline - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,819 Times in 9,923 Posts

Transporting pipe section on existing pipeline - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Aug 28, 2022), Moby Duck (Aug 28, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2022), nova_robotics (Aug 23, 2022), Ralphxyz (Aug 23, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Steady now keep it balanced we font want to have to pick this thing up again

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2022)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Using your heads and your backs. A foreign concept in Canada and the USA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Aug 23, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Using your heads and your backs. A foreign concept in Canada and the USA.
    A guy I worked with several times, had designed and built some High-tension line stringing equipment then sent it to Brazil. He got a call for help one night from someone down there. it seems they had completely disassembled it in order to haul it to the top of a mountain and couldn't figure out how to put it back together.
    SO Bill calls me and asks if I would like an all-expense paid working vacation to Brazil
    WHY! I asked knowing the operative word was "working".
    The idiots disassembled the 4 spool and didn't follow the disassembly and re assembly instructions I need you to go there and show them how tro put it back together and make it work, because I can't go myself and you are the only other person I know who knows enough about how I build things and will be able to figure out what goes where if they have taken apart something they shouldn't have.
    When I got there I found out why they had reduced it to the sized proportions they had. The whole 10,000 lb machine had been hoisted up a 600 ft cliff face 1 part at a time with nothing more than blocks and tackle and manual labor. I was glad they had capped each and every hydraulic line and fitting as they removed them. It still took a couple of weeks to reassemble it though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 24, 2022)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    A guy I worked with several times, had designed and built some High-tension line stringing equipment then sent it to Brazil. He got a call for help one night from someone down there. it seems they had completely disassembled it in order to haul it to the top of a mountain and couldn't figure out how to put it back together.
    SO Bill calls me and asks if I would like an all-expense paid working vacation to Brazil
    WHY! I asked knowing the operative word was "working".
    The idiots disassembled the 4 spool and didn't follow the disassembly and re assembly instructions I need you to go there and show them how tro put it back together and make it work, because I can't go myself and you are the only other person I know who knows enough about how I build things and will be able to figure out what goes where if they have taken apart something they shouldn't have.
    When I got there I found out why they had reduced it to the sized proportions they had. The whole 10,000 lb machine had been hoisted up a 600 ft cliff face 1 part at a time with nothing more than blocks and tackle and manual labor. I was glad they had capped each and every hydraulic line and fitting as they removed them. It still took a couple of weeks to reassemble it though.
    So partially using their heads. And definitely using their backs. Hah!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    So partially using their heads. And definitely using their backs. Hah!
    They took every precaution they knew how to do. But a machine with 4 huge winch drums each having to maintain equal strain on the line it is pulling, can be daunting even to a seasoned maintenance person. Made more so when your native language is not American English and more precisely Texas English. Because we do use many descriptive words not usually heard in other states, about as different as Adalade, AU. and London, UK. The so called service manual they had was written up by Bill, he designed it built it and applied for about a dozen patents on it. No idea how many if any actually were ever approved. He built it when he was the senior engineer at Gerhart& Owens company, later named GO, International. I hadn't help build it, so I went in almost as blind as they were, the exception being #1 I was very conversant in Texas speak, #2 I had a copy of his blue prints, schematics and diagrams, plus a toolbox jammed full to bursting with the special tools he figured I might need IE test gages flow meters hoses, fittings and pressure valves to test everything once we had it up and running and a box full of assorted miscellaneous items he thought could have become damaged in the move.
    We had it running in 2 weeks, but I stayed an additional week No body was going to cheat me out of the vacation part of a working vacation if I could help it. Plus I left all of Bill's tools parts and instruments with them, noted in my expense report, which got a big laugh from him.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 24, 2022)

Thread Information