Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.

Let's talk Hossfeld benders.

Using some plans I found online, I'm nearing the completion of a reasonable facsimile of a Hossfeld No 2 bender. Those plans are here: Bender Similar to the Hossfeld #2 A few mistakes I found but overall it's been great!

I've made many of the normal tools for it already but thought I'd ask about this one for bending flat stock edgewise.

It uses the 50B and 51B2-1 tools (and some smaller parts)

I'm looking for any dimensions on these to help me build them. They are cast pieces from the factory but I'm making from steel.

This is a pic I found of the 50B:

Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.-s-l500.jpg

and this is the 51B2-1:

Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.-51b2.jpg

Also, would love to get any dimensions for other bits and bobs they have for this. I did make the basic stuff but lots I can still do.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jul 18, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Oh yeah, in case you don't know what a Hossfeld bender looks like, this is the basic tool. Hydraulics can be added and I'm actually doing that conversion but using an air operated bottle jack.

Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.-series2im001887.jpg.w560h357.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jul 18, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Here is what I have made so far. A couple weeks of work for sure:

Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.-dscn7999.jpg
    Tribute of a Hossfeld No 2 bender build, let's discuss.-dscn8001.jpg

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I have the Hossfeld bender with hydraulic conversion, but I only have the tube bender dies.
    Here's a link to the info I've capture about tube bending and my particular bender:
    Hydraulic Tubing Bender - Kustom's by Kent
    I'd be curious to see what you find on the edge bending dies for flat stock.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 18, 2017)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Well after a few days of studying the pictures online and in the owners manual (the only thing I have that is made by Hossfeld) I think I have a fair idea of the measurements. Much bigger than I thought. 12-1/2 long as per the 1st pic above and I come up with about 5 inches tall plus the 2 lugs on the bottom and about 5-3/4 wide. That's the 50B piece. Considering it will be made from 1 inch steel and 3/8 inch plate, it's won't be something to drop on your foot! Then there is the top piece, shims and the curved die to make. Having fun though...

I'm making all of this so I can bend the round degree wheel for it.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    "I'm making all of this so I can bend the round degree wheel for it. "

Ah, the circular reality of our hobby, making tools to make tools interesting project and good job!

it's always these details that prove to be the greatest challenge when tele reverse engineering. You are lucky in that you have at least one pic with a tape measure on the piece. These Hosfeld come up used around here periodically but are close to new prices from what I gather.

Sorry I don't have one to get dimensions off of for you. Good luck and I look fwd to seeing how you do with completing the project.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 20, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    In looking for info on the Hossfeld #2 I came across these files, Bender Similar to the Hossfeld #2

Is this where you got your info for making yours? I don't think I saw the part you are trying to make but I just don't know enough about it.

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Yeah that's the plans I went from. There are few small mistakes but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    In looking for info on the Hossfeld #2 I came across these files, Bender Similar to the Hossfeld #2

Is this where you got your info for making yours? I don't think I saw the part you are trying to make but I just don't know enough about it.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Seem like nice enough plans. Too bad your piece wasn't in there. Do you think somebody on that thread could help you out?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A guy came to my shop once with a Hydraulically powered factory Hossfeld a set of very tight radius 1" square tubing dies and a contract to manufacture stocking carts the first part of the contract was for 300 carts. Each cart had 15 pieces of tubing and 8 bends. cutting the tubing was no problem as my wife could place an entire 80 stick bundle in our band saw the bottle neck was in the bender not being designed for heavy continuous production work the little 120 volt 1 HP power unit only produced about 1 GPM and the die he had special ordered could only bend 1 piece at a time the 2 1/2 inch cylinder seemed to have enough power so I made a set of double grove dies this did not quite double the production speed maybe 80%. So I got the bright Idea of replacing the power unit with a 220v 2 1/2 HP unit This yielded close to 180% increased productivity. Now my wife could set up the saw for a cut and bend up enough tubes to keep 5 welders busy and build up enough extra inventory for another day's worth of production. But even at that rate of production we were not going to be able to meet the shipment date So I put on a 2nd shift making the shop a 24 hr operation yes we worked 12 + hour shifts
    She and I arrived one morning only to find the bender mangled. One of the guys had thought it would be cute to bend a piece of solid sq bar stock They had no reason to even need the bender or the saw on the night shift. But now I had 5 welders and 8 helpers who were going to run out of work by noon I put 3 of my better guys busy making new parts for the bender out of T1 (ASTM 514) steel while I repaired the dies Making the bender nearly indestructible. We also added bronze bearings to the main pivot points and didn't waste time drilling all of the extra adjustment holes that we didn't use
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 21, 2021)

Thread Information