Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Triggering an artificial avalanche - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,884 Times in 9,939 Posts

Triggering an artificial avalanche - GIF

Triggering an artificial avalanche.

Previously:

Helmet cam view of snowmobiler caught in avalanche - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Perhaps artificially triggered but the avalanche itself is very real. Avalanche control began in the US in 1949 in Alta Utah, using WWII military recoilless rifles.

More information

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Altair (Apr 15, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Apr 14, 2022)

Thanks
    Not much of an avalanche!
    Were the other 3 charges just for show?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    For how many millions of years has it snowed in winter on mountains and never bothered nature? Only when people decide to build towns or cities in the sides of those mountains or think it is so necessary to construct a means to get to the tops of those snow-covered bumps in the Earth's surface, so they can make money off of others who think it is such great fun to slide down the slopes on a pair of deformed boards is beyond me. But they do it and consequentially such activities or town locations means someone gets to play with high explosives or shoot really large guns just to see if they can make the snow slide off the mountains to make it safer for people. When if they just left everything alone and stayed the heck away most of the snow would likely melt in summer anyway.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    For how many millions of years has it snowed in winter on mountains and never bothered nature? Only when people decide to build towns or cities in the sides of those mountains or think it is so necessary to construct a means to get to the tops of those snow-covered bumps in the Earth's surface, so they can make money off of others who think it is such great fun to slide down the slopes on a pair of deformed boards is beyond me. But they do it and consequentially such activities or town locations means someone gets to play with high explosives or shoot really large guns just to see if they can make the snow slide off the mountains to make it safer for people. When if they just left everything alone and stayed the heck away most of the snow would likely melt in summer anyway.
    Everyone likes something different. That's kinda what makes the world go around.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    Everyone likes something different. That's kinda what makes the world go around.
    I think the world would still go round if the entire population of every species on the planet were erased. Which might not be a bad idea as far as the planet is concerned, hit the master reset and in 100 million years just start over
    I went through several weeks of training which involved several cross-country ski and snow shoe treks, with a heavy backpack The qualifying exercise was a 50 mile cross country ski & snow shoe trek carrying a backpack full of mock explosives to supposedly be used to demolish a target. When we arrived at the mocked up target, I thought why the heck don't they just drop a bomb on it then we wouldn't have to get here on those stupid skis and over sized tennis rackets. That was almost 50 years ago and I've never been on a pair of skis since.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I think the world would still go round if the entire population of every species on the planet were erased. Which might not be a bad idea as far as the planet is concerned, hit the master reset and in 100 million years just start over
    I went through several weeks of training which involved several cross-country ski and snow shoe treks, with a heavy backpack The qualifying exercise was a 50 mile cross country ski & snow shoe trek carrying a backpack full of mock explosives to supposedly be used to demolish a target. When we arrived at the mocked up target, I thought why the heck don't they just drop a bomb on it then we wouldn't have to get here on those stupid skis and over sized tennis rackets. That was almost 50 years ago and I've never been on a pair of skis since.
    It was intended as sort of a metaphor. I'd have to be pretty dense to think of that as literal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Floradawg For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 15, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    It was intended as sort of a metaphor. I'd have to be pretty dense to think of that as literal.
    I knew that you should hear what I have to say about football basket ball base ball golf and a few other things involving balls or hockey pucks If there ever was a class of people who have zero use for 99% of all sports I would probably be the leader of the pack only I would have no use for the pack either LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Apr 15, 2022)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I knew that you should hear what I have to say about football basket ball base ball golf and a few other things involving balls or hockey pucks If there ever was a class of people who have zero use for 99% of all sports I would probably be the leader of the pack only I would have no use for the pack either LOL
    I enjoy watching NCAA football, but that's about it. And only then when they are under sufficient control to not disrespect Old Glory or the USA. I missed the whole season two years ago when the NCAA let them wear "black lives matter" patches on their uniforms. Ordinarily they are incredibly strict about letting them put ANYTHING on the uniforms.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information