Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Truck drives on jetty during high surf - video

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I used to have this poster hanging in my office.

Truck drives on jetty during high surf - video-screen-shot-2021-05-12-2.46.56-pm.png

I am retired from 35 years teaching. I hate to admit that I worked with some of those people. Scares me now that my daughter is a teacher, she tells me they are worse now. Not all, but some..

I once had a MATH teacher come to me to ask for help. She was working on a flower bed, She called a company to get some topsoil delivered. They asked her how many yards she wanted. She had no clue how to figure that out. I just looked up at my poster for strength and explained it to her.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 12, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Even better if they receive their Darwin award prior to procreation.
    Everyone does a few things in their life which latter they realize was very dumb, this is well and good as long as they are capable of learning not to do that again.
    ignorance can be cured with experience and education but stupidity is a genetic disorder which not even the Mayo clinic has been able to find a cure for

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I used to have this poster hanging in my office.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 2.46.56 PM.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	39475

I am retired from 35 years teaching. I hate to admit that I worked with some of those people. Scares me now that my daughter is a teacher, she tells me they are worse now. Not all, but some..

I once had a MATH teacher come to me to ask for help. She was working on a flower bed, She called a company to get some topsoil delivered. They asked her how many yards she wanted. She had no clue how to figure that out. I just looked up at my poster for strength and explained it to her.
    Ah, yes. I had to quit teaching about a 8 years ago after a very short career teaching. In high school, I about flunked Algebra I, and should have flunked Algebra II as well, but the teacher did not want to see me back in his class. I figure if he found out that I'd gotten certified to teach math he'd be spinning in his grave. He was the only math teacher at that high school.

Couldn't tell you about anyplace else, but here at OU's TE+ Program that I went through starting in 2000, math teachers didn't need higher math, they needed classes in pedagogy. How to teach. And to get certified, you had to pass a certification test. I took it on a lark. Big part of the test was to solve an equation and graph it. I did solve it, but could not remember how to go about graphing it manually. I had a graphing calculator for that kind of work, which they wouldn't allow because it had lots of memory you could store info in. Did have the correct answer, anyway. They certified me for math up to mid-level, i.e., Algebra II. Nearly the last thing I did as a substitute teacher before they canceled my license was teach an intro to college math class because I was the only math-certified sub in the district. Teacher wound up in chemo a week before school started that year. There were other teachers in the school, but they couldn't cover her class and theirs.

I told the kids I didn't know how to do the math. My brain doesn't work well that way. If they couldn't learn it out of the book, with what little help I could give them, they could go to the other teachers for help after school. I'd have them talk me though solving the problems on the board. I gave extra points for catching me making a mistake. One of them asked my why I told them that. I asked him how long would it take for them to figure it out on their own? Not long, of course. Then I asked him if he would have trusted anything I said afterwards if I had lied about it? Nope. What I did do, was bring in books from my home library with math in them. Books on electronics, and computer science, and chemistry, and physics, book keeping, and my copy of Machinery's Handbook. SWMBO had been a chem major before she got sick. So between us we had books in a bunch of disciplines. I had a copy of the USAF's Space Handbook, her textbooks, and stuff I found it thrift stores. All showing practical uses of mathematics.

My favorite Demotivational poster is the one with the sinking ship. Says "Mistakes. It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...g?v=1416776264

You have been warned.

Bill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 12, 2021)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Yes there are people who are proficient with math even up to calculus (probably) but they can't make use of it in a practical situation. I have seen this.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    Yes there are people who are proficient with math even up to calculus (probably) but they can't make use of it in a practical situation. I have seen this.
    I still have the remains of a custom bookshelf I built of wood back before I became familiar with the Fencepost problem. It was designed to have 7 or 8 shelves just about a 1/4" taller than a standard paperback book. I was going to make them in pairs, with a plywood back, hinges, and latches to be closed up for shipping, and opened up for use. The bottom shelf wound up about 10 or 11 inches too tall. Eventually figured out how to do the math for it correctly, but never got back to building them. If I decide I need to move again (SWMBO wants to go back to Florida) I'll probably go ahead and make enough for all the paperbacks. I now have books on shop math so I don't do stuff like that again. And lots of calculators.

Bill

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Applaud the man, people like him make the rest of us look brilliant.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information